PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else well versed in gmail???

cobluegirl
06-04-2007, 09:01 AM
I have lost my quick contacts chat list....and i have emailed gmail but haven't heard anything back...I don't like it..I want my list back... :(

JavaMama
06-04-2007, 10:26 AM
Hmm :think I think you can go into your Contacts list and change the option to Quick Contacts next to all the people that you want that way.

Rabbit
06-04-2007, 10:39 AM
I've never even noticed the quick contacts option before.

cobluegirl
06-04-2007, 01:13 PM
I thought I could do that too..but I can't figure out how...

Rabbit
06-04-2007, 01:26 PM
Is the list really empty? I turned mine off by clicking on the black arrow next to my name in the blue box on the left hand side of the screen.

cobluegirl
06-04-2007, 01:48 PM
I don't currently have it at all...I can't find it..I wonder if I accidently deleted it or turned it off...

Rabbit
06-04-2007, 03:59 PM
I don't currently have it at all...I can't find it..I wonder if I accidently deleted it or turned it off...

My list is hidden behind a black arrow, in a tiny blue box. The box has my name, a green dot, and a box for "search add or invite." Click the black arrow, and your list should reappear.

cobluegirl
06-05-2007, 09:03 AM
I don't have that box...I have the label box and the invite box but nothing in between it. It seems to have disappeared when I started using my other gmail account too..we have the family one and then my personal one. I can't find the box in my personal one....it is just fine on the family one. i have emailed gmail but they aren't responding....

Maggie
06-05-2007, 10:03 AM
Did you try logging out and back in again?

cobluegirl
06-05-2007, 10:14 AM
yep...I log out and in all the time because I have to check both gmail addresses

JavaMama
06-05-2007, 11:57 AM
So when you click on Contacts and it displays your contacts list, you don't have any option towards the right side of the screen to change the setting? You should be able to choose from Auto, Always, Never and Block.

summertimeshine
06-05-2007, 12:02 PM
I wondered where you were!!!!

OK first...over in your chat box, make sure you are signed into chat.
Second thing to try in the settings page (top right on the screen?) Go to Chat, and make sure that you show at least 10 Quick Contacts.

Gmail says this :
Chat in Gmail isn't yet compatible with all of our supported browsers. If you are using Safari or any other browser other than Internet Explorer 6.0+ or Firefox 1.0+, chat won't work in your account. We are working to make chat compatible with additional browsers. In the meantime, we suggest downloading a chat-supported browser. Mozilla Firefox is available for free download at: http://www.mozilla.org/products

or

Finally, you should also make sure you're using the standard version of Gmail with chat. Scroll to the bottom of any Gmail page and click Standard with chat to select this version. Chat is not available in the basic HTML view.

cobluegirl
06-05-2007, 08:08 PM
K I have open my contacts..I have frequently mailed tab and then the all contacts tab. Then it says groups. Those are the tabs. THen it has the search box. on the right hand side of the screen is says "add contact", "import" and "export". That is it. Above the contacts tabs are the compose, delete, add to group.

JavaMama
06-05-2007, 09:30 PM
Hmm, that's weird. :think For me the choice to leave them on Auto or change them to one of the other options is beside each name, there's a couple of inches of empty space between the name and the option to edit. Those are the same tabs that show up for me.

I'm using Standard with Chat, like summertimeshine recommended.

You know, I remember my mom's quick contacts acting weird for awhile. She added her sister to her contacts list but typing in her name would NOT bring up the address in the To: field. We tried all sorts of things to get it work but nothing worked, and I think it eventually worked itself out. It made NO sense, and I know that's not helpful. :shrug

I hope your bug gets worked out, I'm sure that's really annoying, especially when you're used to it working!

cobluegirl
06-05-2007, 09:42 PM
I know..that is all I am using too..and it works fine on my other address....

JavaMama
06-06-2007, 06:09 AM
That is weird... it would be nice if Gmail would get back to you!

Rabbit
06-06-2007, 06:18 AM
Can you post screen shot?

cobluegirl
06-06-2007, 01:22 PM
They emailed me back...we got it figured out...

so at the bottom of the screen it says "standard w/chat" and "standard w/o chat" I had apparently accidentally hit the w/o one...

Rabbit
06-06-2007, 01:58 PM
They must answer a few thousand emails a week, with that question. :grin :hug

Ima LeShalosh
06-06-2007, 02:22 PM
Open your gmail account

Go to the ver bottom of the page and you will find links that say...

"Gmail view: standard with chat | standard without chat | basic HTML Learn more"

Click on "Standard With Chat" and it should bring back your chat screen along with your quick contacts list.

Let me know if this does not work for you...but it should!

cobluegirl
06-06-2007, 02:29 PM
yup that was it. thanks

Ima LeShalosh
06-06-2007, 04:53 PM
:roll it would help if I read ALLLLL the replies back and forth huh :doh

cobluegirl
06-06-2007, 08:47 PM
np.....hehe