PDA

View Full Version : Describe the style your home is decorated in.

jamilyian
06-04-2007, 04:38 AM
I'm curious what everyone's personal home style is. Do you feel that your current furniture/decorations match your personal style? Or is there something you'd like to change?

erinee
06-04-2007, 04:56 AM
:think Maybe sort of eclectic/contemporary country. Or something like that. I'm not very good at pulling things together -- I just kind of have a mish-mash of things I like. I'd like to have a more streamlined look. Maybe when the kids are bigger.

MarynMunchkins
06-04-2007, 05:48 AM
Mine's very minimalist and contemporary. :) I need to take pics of my new house. :think

But it's very simple lines and colors. There's not a lot of stuff sitting out and about.

BHope
06-04-2007, 05:53 AM
I haven't a clue what you'd consider my home "style." Anybody have definitions they'd like to share? I'm trying to work towards a more minimalist house keeping approach. So not soo many things hanging on the wall or on bookshelves... but other than that, I don't how to explain it.

GrowingInGrace
06-04-2007, 08:55 AM
I don't have a whole house style. I have different styles in each room. The family room is contemporary. The kitchen is kind of french country (lots of roosters). My bedroom is garden style/country. The bathroom is kind of light blue floral. It has a nice light blue and white shower curtain with daisies on it. The play room is unthemed, but it is done in pastels and very girly. As of right now, the girls' bedroom is unthemed, though I want to work on that next. The dining room right now is mismatched but will be countryish. Even the furniture color doesn't match each other. I have a natural wooden table and chair set, and a medium oak buffet table. I will eventually get a dining set that matches the beautiful oak buffet, but not for a while. Maybe for a Christmas present to us. I don't know. I do know that the dining room table is much too large for the room and it's bugging me, and I've been searching for the right table and chair set, but have had no luck finding one.

I guess I lean towards country, but since I got a nice contemporary sectional from my sister for really cheap, and I found a great area rug in a modern style, I ended up buying a transitional style entertainment center. Transitional sits between traditional and contemporary. A little detailing but not too much (simple moldings on the base and crown of the piece)

JessicaTX
06-04-2007, 09:43 AM
Early american yard sale.

RealLifeMama
06-04-2007, 09:44 AM
Early american yard sale.

:giggle

milkmommy
06-04-2007, 09:47 AM
cheaply :giggle seriously 99% of what we have is mismatched stuff from pre martial days when we bought what was on sale at the time VS what was our style. We bought together our bed (just matress and frame) the couch (what we could afford) and DD bed (matress and frame) :shrug I'm looking foward to the day we can replace it ALL :giggle
My style tends to me more modern clean lines but still traditional (natural woods glass soft lines VS harsh) and fairly miminalist. DH taste is simular but likes a little more hefty furniture and isn't nearly as mininalist as I am.

Deanna

milkmommy
06-04-2007, 09:49 AM
Transitional sits between traditional and contemporary. A little detailing but not too much (simple moldings on the base and crown of the piece)

:yes yea thats me :)

Deanna

katiekind
06-04-2007, 09:52 AM
Early attic. :cool

NoodleMom
06-04-2007, 09:57 AM
country

hey mommy
06-04-2007, 10:01 AM
miss-matched yard sale. That about sums it up. We have no theme, we have no 'decorating style'. It's just a bunch of junk that we could get. Some cruddy bookshelves from Target(man those things are cheap cr*p), some antique furniture that belonged to dh's grandpa.

Basically, a bunch of junk.. An old couch and love seat that we paid $200 for from SIL's friend. It's junk and falling apart. :(

Iarwain
06-04-2007, 10:13 AM
Similar to the above I was going to say Garage Sale Random.

SouthPaw
06-04-2007, 10:20 AM
lol! we had all family stuff until my aunt trumped her dibs in on the furniture that was great-grandmas and took it. so we bought a couch, chair, and tables over the deployment. we meaning I :P~ so the living room is transitional style, clean lines but a little ornamentation.

the bedroom is great grandmas furniture still. antiques (gumwood, not "nice" antiques) painted white. a lovely blue and white quilt that was a wedding present from my mom. so definite country/cottage feel.

the girl's rooms are girly. eden's is jungle theme, green and purple and adriana's is flowers, pink and purple.

the kitchen is country. red and white and blue.

the dining room i am pondering still. the only thing in it is our country hand me down table/chairs and a gorgeous set of red embroidered silk curtains that one of my friends gave me when she decided she didn't have a place for them any more. i would prefer for the kitchen and dining room to be less country but, it fits with the houses we have had until now so it is fine.

GodChick
06-04-2007, 10:20 AM
Country, but with some pieces that don't match, because they're from the early years of our marriage, when we just got whatever we could get second-hand. (We're slowly replacing our old stuff with new.)

Oh, and with a piano that doesn't match either but isn't going to be replaced, because it was my mother's, and her mother's before that. :heart

NoodleMom
06-04-2007, 10:28 AM
country

I should expand a little on this...
Master bedroom is birdhouses and flowers my quilt is a patchwork of different pieced together flowers.
Kitchen is farm animals and old fashioned kitchenware,
Livingroom is country houses,hand sewn country dolls and teddybears, my couch is red plaid,
Main floor bathroom. This originally was the boys bathroom so I did it it old fashioned cars and motorcycles.
Big Boys room is early lockerroom complete with dirty socks and underwear and the smell to go with it.
Little Boys room is match box cars knex and any other sort of play thing that has tons of pieces for me to step on. It also has a sports wallpaper border
Girls room is dolls and perfumy smelling stuff including lots of their frilly junk and of course letters and notes all over.

Before Butterfly got sick I had chosen new wallpaper borders for several rooms. We moved everyones rooms around because she needed to be on the same floor as us. Now it is just a discombobulated mess.

JavaMama
06-04-2007, 11:16 AM
Hmm, most rooms are a country-ish style (not primitive though). The only "knick-knacks" I really have is the American-made pottery (http://www.rowepottery.com) I used to collect when I had money to spend. ;) Otherwise it's just pictures/photos on the wall.

Our bedroom furniture is from the 20s or something like that, we bought it at used furniture shop- it's really heavy solid wood with the dovetail drawers. It was cheap and it's real. :) The bed (no frame and I don't know if I want one) has a quilt on it... a couple of pictures on the walls and plain tab curtains. We have molded trim in the bedroom that dh rescued from an old house that was being torn down so a simple style seems to highlight the nice woodwork- see it here http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b241/busybusymomma/100_0945.jpg .

Our living room furniture is 100% hand-me-downs... though SIL is going to help me make a slipcover for the ugly but comfy oversized chair that is "mine". We're hoping to buy a new couch next year, we've had one picked out for a year that is a dark brown paisley-esque fabric with gold, dark green and royal purple accents. It's a cozy kind of couch, perfect for sprawling into. ;) And we'll eventually get dh a Lay-Z-Boy. :)

For wood furniture, we like Shaker style and Mission style. :)

Our bathroom is a southwest style wallpaper but it's falling down so I'm going to have to paint. I haven't quite decided what to do in there. :shrug

We only have one room left with carpet, the rest of the floors are hardwood and tile, I think that lends more of a zen/clean feel to the house. :)

booboo
06-04-2007, 11:33 AM
totally lived in. If I had a baby, we'd lose her every now and then! :shifty

Herbwifemama
06-04-2007, 11:37 AM
Apartment chic. Crappy stained and burned carpeting, beige walls, and cheap linoleum. Ask me what style I'd LIKE to have, and you'll get a much more interesting answer! :D

I found a fun quiz on HGTV.com if you're interested in learning about the different styles: http:// web.hgtv.com/hgtv/web/searchResults/1,8213,,FF.html?searchString=style+quiz&searchType=Aggregate&GoSearch=Search

Mother of Sons
06-04-2007, 11:39 AM
I really don't know. I don't know the definitions of the style. I like color, I don't like clutter. I don't like knick knacks and I don't like a ton of surface stuff. I like things to be simple and relaxing on the eyes. I prefer solids to patterns and I don't like most florals in my house. Very little of our house was purchased new (2 things off the top of my head.)

JavaMama
06-04-2007, 12:35 PM
I found a fun quiz on HGTV.com if you're interested in learning about the different styles: http:// web.hgtv.com/hgtv/web/searchResults/1,8213,,FF.html?searchString=style+quiz&searchType=Aggregate&GoSearch=Search

I did the survey and it said my style is sweet. ;) I think it lends itself to "Cottage" although some of the colors I've chosen have been a little darker. I also did the home style quiz and it said French Normandy for that one. :)

AmyDoll
06-04-2007, 12:44 PM
I took the quiz too - I'm a classic. I'm soooo not surprised. Timeless is really how I'd describe my house. It's a Neo-Victorian & it looks like it's been here forever - my furniture ranges from beautiful antiques to the shabby-chic la-z-boy recliner that my dad rocked *me* in. One of my goals is to have my house *NOT* look like a Pottery Barn Catalog :giggle

BHope
06-04-2007, 12:48 PM
It said I was "classy" too. Which is probably right. Although whether that's reflected in my home is a whole 'nother discussion.

something glorious
06-04-2007, 12:55 PM
hmmm...maybe "eclectic-contemporary-cabin" :shrug i really LIKE the pottery barn style (i'm giggling amy :giggle), as far as the uncluttered feel, and the clean lines and such...however, i like more color, texture and patterns then the rather "bland" PB standard. i really like to mix fabric patterns, etc., to bring more dimension to the room. i like how color warms up a home. i think adding these elements gives my home personality, so it doesn't just look like a page out of a catalog, iykwim :grin

LadybugSam
06-04-2007, 12:57 PM
Hand me down style ;)

we haven't EVER bought a single peice of furniture in our house, they were all gifts when we got married.

I did just sort of re-do my kitchen in red, black and white, though. Very minimalist though, i guess contemperary. :shrug

milkmommy
06-04-2007, 01:08 PM
The kink doesn't work jsut says page not found?

Deanna

joyful mama
06-04-2007, 01:19 PM
simple, kind of contemporary I guess :think. I have lots of butterflies and flowers and most of my furniture is classic hand me downs (but in really good condition. They are very expensive pieces from people with good taste and a lot more money than I have ;)). I don't particulalry like some of it, like my desk, but :shrug. We have some countryish flair and downstairs (its almost done!) will be a western theme - rustic red/browns with our pottery from out west displayed :rockon. The girls room is very contemporary with butterflies and flowers/bugs and pretty cherrywood furniture.

I've seen miracle mama's home and its really gorgeous. my home seemed so boring when I left yours :giggle. But we've decorated a lot more since then. Lauren I'd say you were almost rustic in your style. Simply classy, colorful...

jamilyian
06-04-2007, 03:30 PM
I couldn't get the link to work either.

We have a lot of dark wood furniture in our home and I am sort of regretting it. I wish we had picked something a little less dramatic and masculine. I think our look needs to lighten up a bit. Anyways, we have some Mission styled furniture. I need to find a way to soften some of this brown and girl things up a bit. We just got a rusty red couch. I'm thinking some window treatments could help. We currently just have mini-blinds.

Anyways, since dh and I can't afford to buy a home, we've decided to put some money into decorating our place the way we like it. I mean, if we're going to be here, might as well enjoy it right?

I would love to see some pictures if you guys have the time. Some of your descriptions sound so interesting!

rosesnsnails
06-04-2007, 03:51 PM
Well, what I like is shabby sheek, cottage, and French Country. We have touches of those things, but it is definately not all pulled together. There is very little that matches, but it all "goes" together. :)

something glorious
06-04-2007, 04:03 PM
Lauren I'd say you were almost rustic in your style. Simply classy, colorful...

rustic?!?! :scratch

i think of rustic as more along the lines of log cabin-style wood furniture and colors like forest green. sort of like this:

http://www.rosewoodcountryinn.com/id15.htm

:shrug

tree_hugger
06-04-2007, 04:05 PM
I did the quiz. I got "eccentric with a touch of sweet". :)

beccafromlalaland
06-04-2007, 04:12 PM
Slowly digging out of Dorm Room/Poor college Newlywed :giggl

Took the quiz Eccentric with a touch of sweet and classy

mama-hobbit
06-04-2007, 04:25 PM
"You're eccentric with a touch of: sweet and classy." - that is pretty dead on. I love all kinds of styles...

We have predominatly old hand-me-downs, thrift/yard sale finds, and a fabulous freecycle sofa (that I'm gonna recover in the next week or two). I tend to like classic pieces that are not too bulky. I love old wood.

The only things we got new were the girls bunk bed, our mattresses, two end tables, a computer hutch, and bookshelves.

ArmsOfLove
06-04-2007, 04:30 PM
I took HGTV's "what is your style" and "what is your home style" quizzes and I came up "Classic" in my style and my home style is "French Normandy"--sounds like me. I'm calling my current design "Boho Chic" and it's combining bold with traditional--like me ;)

Herbwifemama
06-04-2007, 04:42 PM
I got sweet too- down in the lil box on the bottom, it tells you which home styles suit that- it says for sweet, English Country, Romantic, Tuscan, and Cottage- that really suits me. In fact, I call my personal decor style somewhere between cottage, country, old world, and goth. ;)

hey mommy
06-04-2007, 05:36 PM
Was it this quiz?
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/pac_ctnt_988/text/0,,hgtv_22056_33320,00.html

The other link wouldn't work for me either.

ETA that I did the quiz. I got SWEET.. The description made me laugh b/c I really DO have a rocking chair that used to grace grandmothers house.. LOL.. It was DH's grandmas chair. she used to rock dh in it.. :heart

Soliloquy
06-04-2007, 05:46 PM
Arts and Crafts/Mision

not the counted cross-stitch kind but this kind

http://www.stickley.com/gallery/collections.cfm?c=36

freshwaterfish
06-04-2007, 05:48 PM
Comfy, simple, and earthy... I would say my style is a mix of Ikea and pier 1 imports, I guess? I like ethnic touches and art, but don't have a lot of that yet - love indian fabrics, african pictures, contemporary asian vases and candlesticks, etc. Right now I have two futon couches... one is light sage green, the other is chocolate brown... a mahogany desk that my dad built for my mom... a funky rust-orange armchair... my bedroom is VERY minimalist... just a dresser, bed and antique sewing machine cabinet... moss green sheets, white down duvet, and chocolate colored pillow cases... :giggle

Micah's room is done in primary colors and is very bright and ikea kid inspired.

ETA: I did the quiz and got eccentric, and the styles they suggested were eclectic, Mediterranean, and southwestern... considering I LOVE cob houses, I think they are right on... :wink www.cobworks.com

something glorious
06-04-2007, 06:31 PM
i took the quiz, and apparently my style is "hip":

"if it's new, it's you. no overstuffed chairs, or anything that could be described as froufrou! you're drawn to clean lines and a minimalist palette (think black, white, neutrals and a few bold colors that "pop" against that background- like orange, red or turquoise). you like your patterns graphic, and your buildings industrial. the older furnishings you enjoy are mid-century modern or stark asian or african pieces without any embellishments."

my recommended styles are modern, contemporary and asian.

lots of that is true, with a few things that are pretty "off." i don't like industrial buildings....i much prefer old buildings that are rehabbed. i'm not big on black and white (although i do like neutral rooms with "pops" of color), and i like a nice overstuffed chair for reading :shrug

righteous mama
06-04-2007, 06:43 PM
My style is French Country (http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/dc_styles_french_country/0,1792,HGTV_3518,00.html) with a bit of Spanish Mission. I really like the whole Craftsman Bungalow/Spanish Mission style homes, but inside I like more color, but I like to accent with lot's of black iron-work, etc. My home is red and blue with accents of other colors. If my landlady ever changes the carpet, we will repaint the walls to a warm gold color. Right now they are bluegrey and way too beach looking for me. If I had a beach house...then it would be fine. I use lot's of plates on my walls to decorate and lot's of French Cafe scenes, etc.

I'm going to go take the quiz...

SouthPaw
06-04-2007, 06:45 PM
righteous mama, did you ever post pics of your house? my kitchen/dining room are trying to be red and blue but are not doing it very well :giggle would love some inspiration!!

righteous mama
06-04-2007, 06:51 PM
I did. I don't think they were very good. I'll post some more.

It said that I am traditional, transitional, and arts & crafts. I would agree. I think I'm a bit of it all.

Mother of Sons
06-04-2007, 06:54 PM
I took the quiz and it said eclectic sweet and classy. It recommended southwestern as a style. No thanks. That's the one style that I can pretty much outright reject. (no offense to those that love it!)

SouthPaw
06-04-2007, 06:56 PM
uh oh, heather micaela likes southwestern, i hope she doesn't see this!! :giggle

milkmommy
06-04-2007, 09:49 PM
The secons link worked said I was classy (gotta agree) :giggle

Deanna

mamaKristin
06-04-2007, 10:02 PM
I took the quiz and it said eclectic sweet and classy. It recommended southwestern as a style. No thanks. That's the one style that I can pretty much outright reject. (no offense to those that love it!)

I got exactly the same...and feel the same about southwestern style. :giggle

The pics of eclectic rooms I saw were really similar to what I have/want to add to our place! It was actually a touch creepy. ;)

GrowingInGrace
06-04-2007, 10:07 PM
I got sweet as a test result - english country, romantic, tuscan, and cottage style. Yep. That's me.

jamilyian
06-04-2007, 10:42 PM
I got "sweet" as well. Which explains why I'm uncomfortable with all of the dark furniture in my house. It says "You're drawn to cozy interiors and a welcoming palatte (think soft, unbleached hues)."

Hopefully I can "sweeten" this place up a little w/o replacing furniture. I'm too thrifty to toss everything and buy new stuff!

Herbwifemama
06-04-2007, 11:22 PM
Depending on the furniture, you could paint it a light white/ish color, and distress it so the dark shows through a bit. That fits in with the shabby chic style.

joyful mama
06-04-2007, 11:44 PM
Lauren I'd say you were almost rustic in your style. Simply classy, colorful...

rustic?!?! :scratch

i think of rustic as more along the lines of log cabin-style wood furniture and colors like forest green. sort of like this:

http://www.rosewoodcountryinn.com/id15.htm

:shrug
:shrug :doh yeah, I guess rustic isn't the right word :think :O. I don't know how to describe it than. I was just really impressed by your amazing wooden floors, rounded archways (right word?) ... and your decorating style :)

Cheyenne
06-05-2007, 12:33 AM
I took the quiz and it said sweet for me too. Of the four style options, I most definitely prefer simple Country or Cottage. I am pretty far removed from that. My house is I think mostly traditional style. Mostly hand me down furniture. I like my furniture for the most part, but if I had all the money I needed, I would of course love to have my ideal style. I have my dream table though! I always wanted one and my friend gave me hers since she got a new table. :D

ETA: She didn't have the chairs or bench that went to the other side, and we haven't been able to buy chairs for it, so for now we use whatever chair is available. :O

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a52/CheyenneGCM/housepicturesandpicsofmeandEmily005.jpg

jamilyian
06-05-2007, 07:23 AM
That IS a nice table! I have my dream table too. I should try and copy what I love about the table around the rest of the house...

Herbwifemama
06-05-2007, 09:05 AM
I LOVE that table! I'd want a different fabric on the benches, and more windows, but other than that, it's like my perfect kitchen! *sigh* One day...

Cheyenne
06-05-2007, 09:08 AM
I wish there were more windows too. :yes

something glorious
06-05-2007, 09:29 AM
:shrug :doh yeah, I guess rustic isn't the right word :think :O. I don't know how to describe it than. I was just really impressed by your amazing wooden floors, rounded archways (right word?) ... and your decorating style :)

awwww, you're so sweet :hug thanks, jen!

trustingGod2
06-05-2007, 12:12 PM
Mine seems to be toys

Herbwifemama
06-05-2007, 12:26 PM

You can never have enough windows, IMO. :)

JavaMama
06-05-2007, 09:33 PM

You can never have enough windows, IMO. :)

I agree! :yes Our house needs more windows... I'm excited to have a front door with a real window in it now, even though it means less privacy. Ah, that fresh natural light! :yes

Mother of Sons
06-05-2007, 10:20 PM
You can never have enough windows, IMO. happy smile

I beg to differ! All those windows add up to lots of extra costs not to mention zero privacy! I think we have 29 windows. Even our closets have windows. In some ways I like the light but most of the windows go almost floor to ceiling and that leaves furniture arranging options extremely limited and that frustrates me.

JavaMama
06-06-2007, 06:09 AM
You can never have enough windows, IMO. happy smile

I beg to differ! All those windows add up to lots of extra costs not to mention zero privacy! I think we have 29 windows. Even our closets have windows. In some ways I like the light but most of the windows go almost floor to ceiling and that leaves furniture arranging options extremely limited and that frustrates me.

:shifty Wanna trade houses? :lol

Newer windows seem to be pretty efficient IME, our master bedroom/bathroom/closet that dh built it onto the house stays warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer than the rest of the house. The difference being better insulation and energy efficient windows... there's actually more window space (including a sliding glass door) in the addition than the rest of the house :)

I can't believe you have windows in your closets though. :jawdrop We only have one small closet in each bedroom for a total of 3. No windows or anything like that! LOL

Herbwifemama
06-06-2007, 08:55 AM
Yeah, I've never heard of windows in closets, that's kinda weird, but the rest sounds great to me! :)

Mother of Sons
06-06-2007, 09:18 AM
I can't believe you have windows in your closets though. jaw dropping We only have one small closet in each bedroom for a total of 3. No windows or anything like that! LOL

I have no idea why they are there. They aren't eve big closets! One could be considered walk in but the rest are just little teeny closets Our house is around 130 years old. The windows have so many drafts that they might as well be open.

Aisling
06-06-2007, 09:24 AM
Ideally, simple, clean lines, and lots of color. The color part is coming with a paintable apartment, LOL.

something glorious
06-06-2007, 09:53 AM
ashley, i bet our styles are pretty similar....the more i think about it, the more i wonder how HGTV can determine i'm "hip" (modern/contemporary/asian) from asking me what dog i'd take in, and what doorbell tone i'd choose :giggle there are elements of the "hip" description that fit me to a "T", but other parts that aren't me at all :no does anyone read domino magazine? just about everything they do in that magazine is up my alley :yes

GrowingInGrace
06-06-2007, 10:33 AM
I can't believe you have windows in your closets though. jaw dropping We only have one small closet in each bedroom for a total of 3. No windows or anything like that! LOL

I have no idea why they are there. They aren't eve big closets! One could be considered walk in but the rest are just little teeny closets Our house is around 130 years old. The windows have so many drafts that they might as well be open.

Maybe the closets were added in a later update to the house, hence the windows in the closet. I've read that really old homes didn't use closets at all, but armoires instead.

JavaMama
06-06-2007, 11:22 AM

:nod we have a couple of windows like that... I hate covering them in plastic because I hate how it looks but I also hate drafts. We replaced our drafty front door with a better door and next year once the worst of our debt is paid off I'm looking forward to replacing a couple of windows each year until we get them all replaced with energy efficient windows. Since our house is 100 years old, the size windows we need are special order but I'd rather pay more for the right size window than try to enlarge the rough openings. :/

It's amazing how nicely a well insulated house with energy efficients windows and doors stays warm. I can't wait until we get ours taken care of. I need to be patient though. :shifty

Happy Mom
06-06-2007, 12:37 PM
Beach Cottage....with a bit of 50's retro thrown in. My room, however, is sort of shabby chic. I'm not sure how that happened. :lol

tempus vernum
06-07-2007, 04:56 AM
ashley, i bet our styles are pretty similar....the more i think about it, the more i wonder how HGTV can determine i'm "hip" (modern/contemporary/asian) from asking me what dog i'd take in, and what doorbell tone i'd choose :giggle there are elements of the "hip" description that fit me to a "T", but other parts that aren't me at all :no does anyone read domino magazine? just about everything they do in that magazine is up my alley :yes

I don't read domino magazine but I was wondering how they could match a style from a chocolate chip cookie (my choice on that page) :giggle

I got "classy" I think that's about right if I got to decorate. HOwever, my current decorating is "old (the furniture dh and I bought when we got married), handme down (computer desk, beds,etc) or cheap (target bookshelves that are pretty junky) :giggle

I don't like knick nacks -I only own one. I like to decorate with pictures of my family on the wall. :grin