PDA

View Full Version : Meals for one?

AmyWA
06-03-2007, 09:15 PM
What kind of meals do you/would you have on hand for one person? My husband and I aren't together for meals a lot (sadly) and I've been eating a TON of stuff that is soooooooooooooooo bad for you. So, what kind of thing would you have on hand for a quick meal for just yourself? I love salads and the like, but that stuff goes bad so quickly - I need stuff that is like pantry items. Help! I'm gaining weight like it's going out of style and I feel awful because I eat so poorly. Any great ideas?

allisonintx
06-03-2007, 10:14 PM
Unfortunately "pantry foods" are not often good for you.

I make a bean stew that is pretty good but you'd have to freeze a bunch of it, because there's no way to make a little bit of it.

One can each:
Navy Beans
Great Northern Beans
Black Beans
Kidney Beans
Crushed tomatos

Dump all cans into a pot and season to taste (I like Emeril's seasonings a lot) and heat thoroughly. Total cook time is less than 15 minutes!

I also like Campbells Gold Select Butternut Squash soup. It's quick and not high in calories, but very rich tasting.

AmyWA
06-03-2007, 10:21 PM
Unfortunately "pantry foods" are not often good for you.

Which is probably why I'm eating to badly! :lol The recipes you suggested sound really, really good. Maybe I should spend some time making things like that. And freezing things sounds like a good idea - that way they kind of are like "pantry items" with their convenience.

allisonintx
06-03-2007, 10:23 PM
:yes

There are heartier veggies that can withstand a bit more storage time like Artichokes and Asparagus, both of which are great steamed as a meal.