PDA

View Full Version : Is a self-serve healthy snack box a good idea?

Hopeful
06-01-2007, 02:29 AM
DS 22mo has learnt how to open the pantry.

I've moved them now but there used to be chocolates in there :shifty - I moved them when I realised DS was helping himself!

It got me thinking about placing snackpakcs of healthy snacks (rice cakes, oat crispbreads, even maybe apples, etc) where the chocolates used to be and letting him help himself whenever he's hungry.

Is this a good idea? :think

I can't make up my mind. At this stage he still struggles to open packs so he would come asking for the pack of rice cakes to be opened anyway (mysteriously opening chocolates has never been a challenge for him!! :giggle)

Marrae
06-01-2007, 02:54 AM
I think it's a great idea to give him a measure of control over what he is eating. :yes You could put a few rice cakes or whatever into little bags so he does not need to open the whole packet himself.

Due to it being a new thing, you would need to be prepared for him eating everything in the box at once. So, I would not put too much in until he got used to it. :giggle

Wonder Woman
06-01-2007, 04:31 AM
I think it's a great idea - Jaden has snacks that he can help himself to :tu We started doing it when he was in the never-sit-for-a-full-meal toddler phase :giggle

Sandollar
06-01-2007, 04:39 AM
I was thinking about doing this same thing. I went to a ladies home where she had a cute wooden shelving thing w/ kid snacks in it, I thought what a good idea. And she said since she's always done it that way the kdis dont go crazy with it, they still ask for a snack but can go help themselves.I'm thinking of getting a small rubbermaid type container for the pantry or maybe a basket? How are you doing it?

Tanyia
06-02-2007, 09:20 AM
We do this. DD can open the pantry doors and the lazy susan herself and so anything in her reach is all healthy stuff that I have no problems letting her eat. Who can complain when their 27 month old wants a can of kidney beans, gets out the kidney beans, strainer, can opener, and a tupperware bowl. :giggle :think :shrug

cindergretta
06-02-2007, 09:31 AM
I've tried to always keep healthy snacks available. My dc still have to ask first, but then they are able to help themselves. (I don't want them eating a snack and drinking a WHOLE bottle of water 20 minutes before dinner. Then they aren't hungry for dinner- duh!- but come to me an hour after starving!)

LittleSweetPeas
06-07-2007, 01:32 PM
Dr. Sears recommends this same idea. Putting snacks into an ice cube tray for easy picking.

We do something pretty similar but more in my control just b/c of space. All the snacks they can have for the most part are on a bottom shelf that they can see in an upper cupboard. When they are hungry they can tell me which one they want from what they can see. I typically have crackers, Trader Joe cereal bars, raisins, almonds, fruit leathers, marshmallows, etc. there

hey mommy
06-07-2007, 02:04 PM
Yep. I agree w/the others.. C is welcome to help himself to snacks, but he always asks first.

MamaJayne
06-07-2007, 02:20 PM
I run my snack station much like others here. THey have to ask, but unless it's within an hour of a meal they don't hear no. I have my whole bottom pantry shelf dedicated to this -- there are granola bars, small peanut packets, raisins, etc. and they are also always welcome to fruit, cut-up veggies like carrots, broccoli, and celery, yogurt, and cheese, which they can reach in the fridge/counter as needed. I wanted to set them up for success with making healthy eating choices, and so far it's worked out well. They rarely ask for sweet stuff (only if they know it's in the house, such as leftover cake after a birthday, the first few days after Easter, etc.) and even when we're out and about, they tend to gravitate to the same healthy snacks I offer at home.