PDA

View Full Version : need plant suggestions

Naked Camper
05-31-2007, 03:13 PM
Help me think of plants that are quick growing that would be great for covering a chain-link-fence. Oh, low cost would be good too! We're in Missouri if that helps. Our backyard is full sun too. I HATE our chain-link fence and would rather have green over the look of the fence.

TIA

mamaKristin
05-31-2007, 03:14 PM
Sweet peas up the fence? How full of coverage are you looking for?

mom2threegirls
05-31-2007, 03:19 PM
Do you want something that will cover it year round or just in the spring/summer?

Naked Camper
05-31-2007, 03:22 PM
If it'd cover it year round, cool! But I can settle for just spring/summer. I'd like to have full or mostly full coverage. We have a bush that is growing in our fence (have no clue what kind of bush it is) but it's real dense and you cannot see the neighor's yard through it. I really would love to see that all the way around, except for at the gates. We have a lot of fence area to cover, but I've been dreaming about covering it for three years now and think I am ready to do something this summer.

hiddenhippie6
05-31-2007, 03:40 PM
Moonflower and Morning Glory are gorgeous!!! They will climb the fence with a beautiful green leaf and then late summer they get a large flower. I put the Morning glory and they grew about 16 ft lng and 4 feet high. That was one pack of seeds for .59! I think our climates are pretty much the same so it will work good for you.
http://www.lunararchives.com/emr_watercolors/Moonflower2.htm
http://vorlon.case.edu/~lps/pictures/nature/morning_glory.jpg Morning Glory comes in mixed colors as well.

Naked Camper
05-31-2007, 03:44 PM
Are morning glory's annuals or perinals? It would be nice to find a perinal

Ali
05-31-2007, 04:00 PM
I have some climbing roses that never cease to amaze me at how much they grow each year.

hiddenhippie6
05-31-2007, 04:06 PM
I have some climbing roses that never cease to amaze me at how much they grow each year.

Yea that would be beautiful.

Those other flowers Morgan are annuals.

mom2threegirls
05-31-2007, 05:30 PM
Ohh! Climbing roses *would* be lovely! They might take some care to cover completely but once they were established they'd do great- just be sure to get a disease tolerant variety if you go that route. I don't know how it would do where you are at but my clematis vines come back every year and climb FAST and are very strong. I have one the has climbed all the way to my roof so far this year and it hasn't even started blooming yet! They die in the winter and you need to cut them back but once they got established they would provide pretty good coverage in the spring and summer and possibly some of the fall depending on your climate. Also, wisteria is beautiful but kind of picky. Hmmmmm... I'm going to think about this a little more :think. I think the climbing roses are the best suggestion so far... :yes

JessicaTX
05-31-2007, 05:44 PM
I have no idea if honeysuckle grows quickly, but it grows thickly, climbs and smells heavenly! I had a chain link fence in an old house with honeysuckle and raspberry bushes, the honeysuckle was great, the raspberry bush grew kinda treelike lol.

Naked Camper
05-31-2007, 07:54 PM
how do you think wisteria would do on a fence?

Naked Camper
05-31-2007, 08:33 PM
DH said "no" to the climbing rose idea, however I really liked the idea. he was worried that DS would get hurt with the roses.

I think I decided to order some honeysuckle. michigan bulb co. has them 3 for 10.99, and then if you spend $40, you get $20 off your order...so $20 for 12 plants. Granted these are the sticks that you have to take great care of and hopefully they'll survive :/

Is honeysuckle easy to re-root if you take a cutting off one?

Naked Camper
06-01-2007, 08:51 PM
what about grapes - do you think grapes would be a good idea. I guess I could do different plants for different parts of the fence - or would that look silly? Maybe only do grapes in one area.

canadiyank
06-01-2007, 08:55 PM
Honeysuckle is nice. Grapes wouldn't be as "full" as honeysuckle but I think different things would be nice.

Peaceful Meadows
06-04-2007, 11:40 PM
Clematis is something else that is viney, pleasing to the eye and grows fast.