PDA

View Full Version : How do you find the time to do it all?

greenjellysnakes
05-30-2007, 09:29 PM
I have had a bit of a revelation recently, that my family deserves to have the house kept better than I currently do. I manage to keep on top of the basics most of the time (cooking, washing, general tidying), but everywhere I look there is more to be done. I know "housework" is really a continual thing, and it's never really "done". But how do I find the time to do more than just the basics (besides spending less time online, which I'm already trying to do)?

I feel like I spend the whole day "putting out fires". Take today for example. Today was supposed to be simple - playgroup, MIL comes to visit, do a couple of loads of washing, one basket of ironing, organise dinner, and if I could fit it in, clean out the pantry/fridge/freezer and do some decluttering in the spare room. Is that too much to expect to do in one day when I'm 28 weeks pregnant and chasing a toddler? Because all I've managed of that list so far is playgroup and one load of washing, and it's 2:30 in the afternoon here. MIL is due any minute, and before she comes I'd really like to vacuum. Thanks to a clumsy incident this morning, I need to re-sweep and mop the kitchen floor (I dropped a jam jar, and I can still hear crunching wherever I walk). DD is being so clingy and will not leave my side which makes it really difficult to do much of anything. I really have no idea when I'm going to get everything else done.

I think I'm just having "one of those days". I need hugs as much as solutions :O

RealLifeMama
05-30-2007, 09:32 PM
I have no solutions, only :hug2
Well, OK, maybe one solution- quit ironing!!!
I put out lots of fires, too.

tree_hugger
05-30-2007, 09:40 PM
:nak2 :hug2

Dana Joy
05-30-2007, 09:50 PM
:hug2

AmyDoll
05-31-2007, 05:28 AM
Other than meals - try to focus on doing *one* chore. Like only ironing OR only decluttering OR only wiping down the bathrooms OR only Vacuuming. You'll feel so much more successful.

crunchymum
05-31-2007, 07:12 AM
((((big hugs)))) :hug

to me, it sounds like a lot! especially with people coming over! :heart

ITA with doing one thing at a time - as you declutter you will have less and less you have to "upkeep", and you start gaining time to do more things as you get organized. at least that's how it has worked for me. i needed help getting systems in place, but i can really tell where i have, because it's so much esier!

:heart

tempus vernum
05-31-2007, 07:58 AM
((((((((((((hugs))))))))))) Some "fires" just CANNOT be prevented (i.e. your jam jar) It's too late now for you to read this but I would have handed MIL either dd or the mop and said "help. She dropped the jam jar. If she was like "no way, I am not doing this" shut the door sweetly and say "then the kitchen is off limits" Or I would have just popped dd in the sling and mopped with her on my back :think

I have always heard that the evening routine is THE MOST POWERFUL household management tool. I was in complete rebellion against this for years. WHy would I want to spend my evening running around cleaning :scratch Just didn't make sense to me. Evenings were for relaxing. Then I actually implemented an evening routine and I realized that it makes almost every day a thousand times smoother. Then when fires occur, you can put them out rather than being burnt out by the blaze! NOw, even when I am exhausted I spend 10 minutes the night before doing a really quick "reset" for the next day. Otherwise, you spend a lot of time doing yesterdays leftovers (dishes, picking up, etc).

My reset is pretty minor

"THE RESET":
-all dishes in dishwasher; run dishwasher.
-10 min house rescue.
-Quick hot spot check.
-kitchen : Bread? (I presoak my flour the night before making bread so I have to get ready) Meat thaw tomorrow dinner?
Grain soak for breakfast?

The following gets done if we have an outing the next morning:
Lunches, clothes for next day laid out, bag packed and ready.

For starting out, just dishes and 10 minute house rescue is PLENTY. :hug

greenjellysnakes
05-31-2007, 04:43 PM
Well, OK, maybe one solution- quit ironing!!!

I wish I could... but that's a whole other thread right there :P~

Other than meals - try to focus on doing *one* chore. Like only ironing OR only decluttering OR only wiping down the bathrooms OR only Vacuuming. You'll feel so much more successful.

After being sick for a few weeks, I felt overwhelmed at playing "catch up". I keep repeating to myself "just one hour at a time". I must remind myself of this. Doesn't mean I can't get more than one done in a day, but I know I just need to focus on one at a time. Thanks :hug

to me, it sounds like a lot! especially with people coming over! :heart

I needed to hear that! Sometimes DH will ask me what I got up to today, and I feel guilty if it's *only* the cooking and a load of washing or something. But better than nothing at all, right? As for MIL's visit, that's a weekly occurrence, so it's not a huge deal. At least she doesn't mind if I do housework while she visits with DD.

((((((((((((hugs))))))))))) Some "fires" just CANNOT be prevented (i.e. your jam jar) It's too late now for you to read this but I would have handed MIL either dd or the mop and said "help. She dropped the jam jar. If she was like "no way, I am not doing this" shut the door sweetly and say "then the kitchen is off limits" Or I would have just popped dd in the sling and mopped with her on my back :think

MIL was very sweet and made sure DD stayed out of the kitchen while I cleaned up. She then played with DD and kept her out from under my feet (literally) while I ironed, and we chatted as I went. A happy compromise! I really do need to get a wrap/sling I can use on my back though!

As for the evening routine, we usually have it down between DH and I. At the very least I try never to go to bed with a sink full of dishes waiting to be done. I guess I could add more to the routine now, like thinking about breakfast, laying out clothes etc.

Thank you all for the hugs and suggestions. I am determined today will be a better day! :yes

MarynMunchkins
05-31-2007, 04:49 PM
That sounds really busy to me. :yes

It helps me to have at least 2 days a week where the plan is to stay home and clean. It lets me get laundry done if nothing else. :)

tempus vernum
05-31-2007, 08:27 PM
Well, being sick for quite awhile takes a long time to catch up from :hug
One day, one hour, one task at a time :hug

mamaKristin
05-31-2007, 08:30 PM
When I was pregnant with my second, my favourite thing was when my mom, dad or DH would take my son out of the house for an hour or two so I could clean in peace. I could get so much work done in an hour while DS was out having a blast with people he loves. I also had a routine of a 'room a day' to focus on. If I could do an intensive 15 minutes (at least) in each room, once a week, it was much easier to keep that room tidy.