PDA

View Full Version : alternative remedies for asthma?

FourCutieBugs
05-30-2007, 07:04 PM
I am really looking for any advice here, but especially for an almost 4 year old. Our Superman had asthma attacks yesterday and last night and this morning. He seems to be reacting to something he's allergic to. I have no idea what that could be. He has also got eczema which flared up slightly too. lots of clear stuff coming from the nose. a bit of a cough today.

When it started I had 2 vials of albuterol left and we used one. then when he needed the next one I couldn't find it. he got worse and worse and was beginning to ask to go to the hospital. :( We are super duper broke right now. like if we spend $0, we'll come out ok this month, but we could be in serious trouble if we do spend any money. So I am a little freaked out that this flared up at this particular time. I tried getting him to drink some coke, but he hates coke, and I tried tea (all I had was chocolate caramel chai enchantment, not his fave either), and I even tried to scare him by popping a ziplock bag behind his head. Didn't work. Didn't scare him enough.

We finally went to the store and got him some more albuterol. This whole experience was so terrifying I wanted to be sure to have something on hand to deal with it in case of an emergency. My dh had asthma as a kid and he's the one who's given me all the advice I so far have. What finally worked was getting him to relax and stay calm. WHen we got in the car to go to the store, I gave him a pilow and blanket and he totally relaxed and then became very chipper and talkative. He was excited that we were going to the store. SO we didn't even give him the nebulizer treatment until after we got home.

WHile at the store, I looked at some of the cafiene pills, but it sayd not to give it to a child under 12. What about half a pill crushed and put into a more favored drink?

Any other ways of dealing with this? ANY advice would be so very appreciated.

cobluegirl
05-30-2007, 08:35 PM
It has been a while since I have looked into this but I think that some chiropractor care and some homeopathy can be very beneficial for asthma.

Irene
05-30-2007, 08:42 PM
I would definitely start trying to figure out what hes allergic too, especially since he has excema as well. It could be something environmental if its just starting up, with pollen or something? I had asthma as a child as well and I remember how scary it was :(

FourCutieBugs
05-30-2007, 09:06 PM
So, um, pardon my ignorance, how do I go about testing him for allergies? Is this always the pinprick method done by a doctor? It sounds horrific.

Irene
05-30-2007, 09:11 PM
I agree... if I had known the skin testing was so traumatic, I wouldnt have done it :bheart there is blood testing available, as well as kinisiology (my personal favorite ;) ) but even before you do that, maybe do a food journal/elimination diet. look at things like detergents, things that might have changed lately, such as flowers blossoming, stuff the animals might be bringing in etc. :hug

mommylove
05-31-2007, 10:09 AM
I haven't tried this myself, but if I were in your shoes, I'd look into this: http://www.naet.com/

Irene
05-31-2007, 08:17 PM
I haven't tried this myself, but if I were in your shoes, I'd look into this: http://www.naet.com/
yes, tht is what we are doing, with much success :tu

FourCutieBugs
06-01-2007, 04:48 PM
Ok, I actually went to the site yesterday and did not have time to read. I may be asking you some more about this. The site looked a bit vague at first glance. I'll go read the "letter" they say to read first.

Irene
06-01-2007, 09:09 PM
:shifty the letter is a bit wierd actually ;) but you can ask me questions :) I dont have all the answers though. The site is a bit vague and Im not sure why. I asked our lady a TON of questions before I even went in to see her, and I am still asking ;)

FourCutieBugs
06-02-2007, 01:59 PM
Ok I went back and read some. I also looked on quackwatch.com and found Nambudripad on there. But not with any serious things mentioned. Just mostly saying that she's weird.

Can you just tell me exactly what you did and what worked? The whole "muscle testing" thing just seems totally ridiculous to me TBH.

cobluegirl
06-02-2007, 02:40 PM
The muscle testing works really well...

quackwatch is all hogwash...the guy that runs it works for the pharma companies....