PDA

View Full Version : Organizing Recipes

Thia
05-30-2007, 01:25 PM
I've been collecting a lot of recipes, just pasting them into a word doc. This can't go on! It's so messy and everything is in different fonts etc. I would like to organize them. How do you have yours organized on the computer?

Naked Camper
05-30-2007, 01:31 PM
I don't keep recipies on the computer. I'm all about the hard copy of a recipie. But, my computer is in a different room as well.

one option is to spend the time to make different files for meat, chicken, dessert, salad, etc. and then save each recipie with its title and then you'd just have to open your folder and see all of the recipie titles and pick from there :shrug you could have a master file as "recipies' and then sub folders from there

tempus vernum
05-30-2007, 04:18 PM
I have a recipe folder with several subfolders each recipe gets its own file in the folder

beverages
condiments
Dessert
household and beauty
Main including soups (subfolder crockpot)
muffins breakfast and sweet breads
Non dairy alternatives
Side dish
yeasted breads
snacks

The Tickle Momster
05-30-2007, 06:16 PM
I do like the previous posters. I also have a binder and sleeves for often used recipes. I much prefer hardcopy for cooking from, less chance of me spilling something on the 'puter.

something glorious
05-30-2007, 07:00 PM
i have a great hard-copy way to organize recipes, but i'm not a computer-recipe-storer either :shrug

Havilah
05-30-2007, 07:05 PM
i have a great hard-copy way to organize recipes, but i'm not a computer-recipe-storer either :shrug

Would you mind sharing... or would that derail Thia's thread too much? Perhaps another thread?

I decided to take my recipes to the beach this summer to organize them while the grandparents look after the chilluns :tu but I haven't decided how to arrange them :O

Thia
05-31-2007, 04:59 AM
Let's have it! Computer or hard copy..... For hardcopy I have a photo album and index cards. I want that to be for family approved recipes though. I have hundreds of recipes on the computer that I want to try. So many recipes and so little time.

something glorious
05-31-2007, 05:07 AM
ok, when i first cut out a recipe i stick it in a file folder until i use it. then, if it's worth repeating, i mount it onto card stock (if it's one sided), and slip it into a page protector. if it's double-sided, i just slip it into a page-protector unmounted :shrug

then i have these fabulous bright plastic binders, with dividers by category....i have 3 binders and LOTS of categories :O (we're total foodies :giggle) some examples:

-poultry
-beef
-fish/seafood
-vegetarian
-side dishes
-baked goods
-desserts

this keeps me organized, PLUS the pages are splatter-proof, and i can jut pull out one recipe, instead of having a huge binder/book taking up my meager counter space.

i saw this format in "real simple" years ago, and i've used it happily and succesfully ever since.

oh, and one of the keys to staying organized is not to let toooooooo many untried recipes accumulate in the file folder :giggle

The Tickle Momster
05-31-2007, 06:46 AM
Oooh, I may have to try this. My binder is starting to overflow. It wouldn't take too much for me to divy it into a few binders instead of just one.

My divisions are:

*soup
*salad
*dinner
*crock pot
*dessert
*bbq
*breakfast

There may be a few more, but that's the jist.

Havilah
05-31-2007, 12:23 PM
Thanks, Lauren. I think I'll adapt that to fit me. The key is going to be only organizing the tried-and-tries... that's where I've been going wrong! :idea

something glorious
05-31-2007, 01:04 PM
Thanks, Lauren. I think I'll adapt that to fit me. The key is going to be only organizing the tried-and-tries... that's where I've been going wrong! :idea

don't feel bad- it took me a long time to figure that out too :rolleyes a lot of wasted hours, rubber cement and cardstock :doh