PDA

View Full Version : powdered milk

milkmommy
05-30-2007, 10:38 AM
How horrible is this to use? We don't drink a lot of milk and we use Organic for consumption but with recipies I ussually make powdered because of price. How horrible is this? I'm trying to move my family to a more natural organic diet but for costs need some places to cut back. Is powered for cooking okay if not why and whats a better choice?

Deanna

cobluegirl
05-31-2007, 04:13 PM
I dont' think there is much nutritional value in it but i don't think it will hurt you.

cindergretta
05-31-2007, 04:16 PM
I grew up on powdered milk. :shrug I'm strong and healthy and have no bone issues. Actually, I've never even had a broken bone. Not even a fracture. :cool I like that! :giggle

Havilah
05-31-2007, 04:21 PM
I always used it for cooking before I looked into Nourishing Traditions. I'm still not wholly convinced it's evil, but I quit using it except for emergencies. Our budget recently got pinchier, so I may go back to using it to cook :shrug

Anecdotally, I know of two moms with seriously dairy allergic children who drank LOTS of powdered milk during pregnancy. I have no idea if that is significant at all, but I though it was interesting.

milkmommy
05-31-2007, 08:18 PM
I always used it for cooking before I looked into Nourishing Traditions.

Can I get more information? We don't consume a lot of milk we use a little for cereal and I do organic for that and even cooking I don't use a lot but some. I can't do organic all the time but is powdered worse than say store brand cheep milk?

Deanna

Soliloquy
05-31-2007, 08:22 PM
I have read that the process used to dehydrate the milk causes serious cholesterol/lipid problems in the body. I will try and look up the specifics tomorrow (I have Nourishing Traditions as well).

What kinds of recipes are you making? Maybe we can help you find a cheaper & healthier alternative to powdered milk.

milkmommy
05-31-2007, 08:40 PM
What kinds of recipes are you making? Maybe we can help you find a cheaper & healthier alternative to powdered milk.
nothing specific just when i do cook with miilk I need something simple and affordable.

Deanna