PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take you to *really* clean you house?

AmyDoll
05-28-2007, 07:45 PM
:bag
I just realized that cleaning my house takes 12 hours. :hunh Which explains why I can never get it done.

When I had a cleaning service (I don't right now) it took 4 people 3 hours to clean my house :phew I feel overwhelmed :neutral And that's after dh and I would spend an evening picking up and putting away so that the team could clean.

I feel like I'm always cleaning. My house isn't *that* big - its 2500 square feet. It's specifically not cluttered.

hopefromgrace
05-28-2007, 07:59 PM
takes me about 2-3 hours....but that is with a small home (about 1200 sq. ft.).
I think 2500 sounds huge to me :phew !

arwen
05-28-2007, 08:00 PM
the whole house.....uh, i don't even want to go there....
but to clean reaaaallllly good for my mother to come.....about 4 hours.

to clean reallllly good for friends/visitors......about 2...toooooo long.

zak
05-28-2007, 08:04 PM
Our house is the same size - for it to be "company ready" it takes me a good part of a whole day... from steam cleaning, vacuuming, windows, the kitchen as a whole, mopping, wiping down the couches/blinds/counters/table, straightening/dusting... probably 4 hours total (but with a ton of breaks and a nap - it seems a whole lot longer).

:hug2 Oh, and we don't even USE the upstairs... that's just the downstairs - upstairs are all guest rooms (for now). :giggle

something glorious
05-28-2007, 08:06 PM
holy cow amy :jawdrop

i think my house takes 3 hours for a DEEP cleaning. and if things are already decluttered and its just deep cleaning.....1-2 :shrug

one of the reasons i appreciate being in a smaller space....and we are (hopefully) about to downsize again :yes

arwen
05-28-2007, 08:09 PM
i wish we could downsize :yes

God only knows how long we'll live here though :/

Six Little Feet
05-28-2007, 08:10 PM
Amy out homes are the same size and yep it would take ALL day to get it really clean.

milkmommy
05-28-2007, 08:13 PM
depends if Im cleaning after a 3 foot tornado and a 6ft 2 huricane and have fallen totally behind on laundry 5-8 hours normally though maybe an hour or two tops. Space is small and I like to keep on top of things or lately at least I've really been trying.

Deanna

BHope
05-28-2007, 08:20 PM
The answer to your question is completely subjective to the state of my house when I began cleaning. :shifty If I were to "really" clean my home right now, it would probably be 6 hours. I just have a lot of sweeping and mopping to do. Plus laundry.

On a normal day it would be closer to 4 hours, and on a good week probably only 2. HOWEVER, on a bad week... it could take me ALL day to do a really good clean.

I do better when I can keep up on the work through out the week, so that "deep" cleaning isn't as overwhelming. (Our home is 2768 sq ft)

Mother of Sons
05-28-2007, 08:42 PM
My house is around 1800 square feet and I don't know how long it takes because I've never gotten it completely cleaned to my satisfaction. I think it would take a very long time.

tempus vernum
05-28-2007, 08:52 PM
Hmmm. . . I just don't know. On a bad week, 3 to 4 hours. On a good week, one hour. A good week means it's still decluttered and organized and all normal maintenance cleaning has been done so I would only have to "deep" clean.

I don't wash windows more than once every 3 months. I don't own a steam cleaner for carpetting.

For me "really clean" is detailed dusting (all fixtures dusted, corners/walls checked for cobwebs), detailed vaccuuming (under furniture), wiped down (detailed - all appliances including small appliances), bathroom scrubbed, floors vaccuumed or mopped depending on surface. Of course, it has to be picked up and tidy to do those things.

Maybe I am a slob :think or maybe my standards have slipped since having kids :shrug

When I was a cleaning lady, I cleaned my mom's 2500 sq ft house in 5 hours a week. Of course, this was already tidied up. I had 2 children to run around after while I did it! We have just under 1500 sq ft.

ArmsOfLove
05-28-2007, 09:43 PM
Well our home is 1100 sq feet and assuming all the stuff is put away where it goes it takes me about 2 hours to totally clean the house--dusting, floors, bathrooms, etc. And that's taking my time. I could do it in 1 hour. If you are adding in cleaning up toys, putting away books, or any *deep* cleaning like cleaning an oven or anything then all bets are off ;) I can putter in the kitchen reorganizing and cleaning there for an entire afternoon :giggle But as long as I do that in this area and that area and not just one area over and over I get around to everywhere eventually--and if an area is bothering me then that's my next target ;)

Benjaminswife
05-29-2007, 12:51 AM
If I worked straight, about 5 hours. But I never work straight. I came to the conclusion if I spent 2 good hours a day on it, it would be nice. Not perfect but nice.

MarynMunchkins
05-29-2007, 04:48 AM
My house is the same size, Amy. With 2 more kids. :giggle

I think it would take a good 12 hours with no kids around for me to really get it clean. As it stands now, I can get everything clean at once (or close enough to it :P) about once a week.

WI Mama05
05-30-2007, 08:52 AM
I honestly don't even want to think about it :O We have 2000+ sq feet (not sure exactly how much :O) and I never really have all of it "clean" at once. If DH can gake the girls for a few hours I can knock out a lot, but with them around it's never ending!

RachamMama
05-30-2007, 12:09 PM
We're living in a small house right now, and it would take me @ 6 hrs to get it *really* clean. On a good day, meaning all family chores completed and laundry caught up, it might take 2-3 hrs. We're a large family and we generate a lot of grime. :shrug

Interestingly enough, it was easier to keep my house clean when we lived in a larger one. We had more space to put things away and it helped a lot. :yes

tempus vernum
06-09-2007, 05:59 AM
I have been reading about speed cleaning and started a post last week. In one of the books I am reading, she says that industry standard (for maid/cleaning services) is 1 hour for 1000 sq feet. I am trying hard to get to that speed :O I can be kind of goofy but so far it's paying off, my bathroom was REALLY fast lastnight but I forgot to time myself :shrug.

The book I read that was really complete and explained the concept best is by the founder of the clean team www.thecleanteam.com . It's called Speed Cleaning by Jeff Campbell and the Clean Team. :)

Here is the link I started http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=117456.0

I thought of this thread when I updated my OP on the topic.