PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have this camera

Six Little Feet
05-28-2007, 08:49 AM
I am a film SLR girl. I love the rawness of it. I like that I know that I can blow up any picture to any size. But the time has come to get a digital. I can not afford a digital SLR. And do not have enough Airmiles. (and that is what we are using). I think I like this one.

I like Canon. It has a good lens, but a small LCD screen. But to me the lens is the most important part of the camera..but I don't know if there is more to a digital.

Any advice......

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_a550-review/

LadybugSam
05-28-2007, 09:36 AM
Hey! thats my camera!

We just got it about a month ago. I LOVE this camera. Its my first digital but i spent a lot of time borrowing my SIL and my cousin's cameras ;)

I LOVE it, the pictures are clear, if you know what you're doing (like my husband does) you can mess with the shutter speed and sensitivity and all that. He loves the camera, my SIL and my cousin are jelous ;) If you dont' know what you're doing, then it has a few easy settings the work for just about every situation.

the thing with the small screen is that you can zoom in on pictures you've already taken by using the zoom button/slider while viewing the picture, so if theres something that you're looking for specifically you can find it.

Excellent picture quality, i'm very impressed, it even does short videos. It doesn't drain batteries like my SIL's camera.

Any specific questions you have about it?

Teribear
05-28-2007, 09:43 AM
I have it as well. Its a great camera for going digital when you can't afford the SLR route. I also love the compact size, mine stays in my purse constantly and I have been able to document so much more of DD's activities and such that I would never have thought to drag out the SLR outfit for. Lugging the D20 just doesn't appeal to me unless its an "event" KWIM?

Six Little Feet
05-28-2007, 10:26 AM
yes. I will still used my SLR for planned shoots, ones where I will fire off a couple of rolls in a short time. But I find that i take less pics with my SLR b/c it is pain to lug around.

A couple of questions...

Is the screen a fair size?
Does it have any internal memory at all?

Thanks. :)

LadybugSam
05-28-2007, 10:51 AM
No internal memory (comes with a fairly decent sized card to start with though). I the screen is pretty decent, i've had no complaints, i can't imagine a bigger screen on it actually :shrug

Teribear
05-28-2007, 11:05 AM
Very few digital cameras, if any, have internal memory. You use cards like you would film in a regular camera except that when you "develop" (download) your photos to CD or computer, your 'film' can be reused. Mine came with a decent sized card...a 16 I think? I have a 256 card in it now. The screen is decent sized, comparable to the one on our digital SLR. Maybe a bit larger even.

Six Little Feet
05-28-2007, 11:06 AM
Oh that is good that it comes with a memory card. I think i will order it. i am pretty excited.... :jump

allisonintx
05-28-2007, 12:19 PM
I'd be excited, too!

domesticzookeeper
05-28-2007, 12:26 PM
I think PowerShots are fantastic cameras. I'm saving up for a Nikon D70 (:mrgreen), but in the meantime I've been using a PowerShot A520 for my photography and I'm really happy with it :rockon I bought a 512 MB memory card that holds 500+ high resolution photos; I think it cost me around $20 bucks ;)

Six Little Feet
05-28-2007, 12:56 PM
I think PowerShots are fantastic cameras. I'm saving up for a Nikon D70 (:mrgreen), but in the meantime I've been using a PowerShot A520 for my photography and I'm really happy with it :rockon I bought a 512 MB memory card that holds 500+ high resolution photos; I think it cost me around $20 bucks ;)

Where did you get your memory card????

domesticzookeeper
05-28-2007, 01:13 PM
http://meritline.com/ :rockon