PDA

View Full Version : Autism and Vitamin D deficiency

Chris3jam
05-28-2007, 06:48 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I've known that Vit. D deficiency is pretty rampant (not just because of sun avoidance). . . .. . .... . .

http://www.vitamindcouncil.com/health/autism/vit-D-theory-autism.shtml

Marsha
05-28-2007, 07:03 AM
they've said the same thing about schizophrenia, that it could be caused by vit d deficiency. I wouldn't bank on it.

cobluegirl
05-28-2007, 08:48 AM
There might be something to it...or there might not be. I do think that in general we are deficient of vit d, however....

Chris3jam
05-28-2007, 09:12 AM
One would think not, really. But, suspected vit. D deficiency in the case of MS (and other disorders) is nothing new. Usually, though, it's a deficiency in the mother, which effects the developing nervous system, which may or may not show up right away. Vit. D deficiency is more widespread than originally thought (depleted nutrition in food contributes).

herbalmama
05-29-2007, 05:51 AM
I don't know that I'd go as far as to say autism is due to a lack of Vit D.. well, I know I wouldn't

BUT
Vit D is a pretty common treatment among natural autism therapies and many autism / ADHD kids have worse symptoms in the winter than in the summer (some completely go away in the summer then return every winter) and planty of docs believe this has alot to do with it..
It does not sound too far fetched to me :shrug