PDA

View Full Version : Food problems - ugh

Mother of Sons
05-23-2007, 10:39 AM
Anyone can answer, but I would really appreciate comments from moms who's children cannot afford to NOT eat.

is really driving me bonkers with food. She's hungry and wants to eat but she won't just sit and eat what I give her and fill up. For example, she wanted a bagel, so I gave her half of a bagel. She ate a few bites and then threw it on the floor. Then she wanted another one. I hadn't seen the first one on the floor yet so I gave her 1/4 of a bagel. She ate a few bites and threw it on the floor. Then she wanted another one. I said no so she got really upset. She kept asking and asking and acting hungry (which is really just whining because she cant' talk) So I made her a peanut butter sandwich. Guess what she did? Yep, ate a few bites and threw it on the floor. She won't take a bottle. So I'm done giving her food but then I feel guilty because she really can't afford to skip meals.

Oh and she wants water constantly. Is anyone else's one year old like this? All the time she is bringing me water bottles. So I have to sit and hold it to her mouth while she drinks. I put the cap on and she freaks because she wants more. That goes on over and over. She won't take a sippy and will only take a few sips out of a straw and she won't take water from a bottle. As I type this she is crying and holding out a water bottle. Again.

Elora
05-23-2007, 07:41 PM
I wish I could say something helpful :( I'm sorry because that sounds so frustrating :hug2

hink4687
05-23-2007, 07:57 PM
I'm so sorry. :hugheart I understand. My son has always been a skinny miny and for the most part he's a great eater but he's had several phases where he does the same thing. Is she still nursing? I would give him a warning and tell him he needs to stop himself from throwing his food on the ground. If he did it again, I'd tell him again he needs to stop himself from throwing his food or Mommy will put the food away so he can't throw it down. If he threw it then I'd put the food away. But then I'd offer him something to eat again in about 15-20 mins or so, so I didn't make him wait until the next meal/snack. If he threw his food I'd go through that again and then try again in a bit usually offering something different. I at least took comfort though if he ended up not eating that he got nutrients through breastmilk. I know this can be a very trying phase but it will definitely pass!

lavender mom
05-23-2007, 08:00 PM
What I did when I was worried about my kids skipping meals because they were being picky or whatever was to offer more meals. So I would end the meal like you did with the throwing of the bagel or whatever, but then I would offer a "snack" fairly soon after that, so even if they didn't eat a lot at a meal, they would have still ample opportunities to eat. I'll admit though, I was never in a position where my kids "couldn't afford to skip meals." I worried about skipped meals, but they weren't dangerous for us.

About the water, DD has always been more thirsty than DS. It feels like she's always asking for water. I don't get it. :shrug

Katigre
05-23-2007, 08:00 PM
My thought was could you add something to the water to make it high calorie to make up for the food?

Mother of Sons
05-23-2007, 09:16 PM
Is she still nursing?

She can't nurse for medical reasons. She's on high calorie formula though. When I refused to give her anything else to eat and the water bottle was empty she had a meltdown that lasted for 10 minutes. I think she was tired too which makes everything worse.

My thought was could you add something to the water to make it high calorie to make up for the food?

That could work :think Do you have any ideas? She's on formula but she really loves water.

Rabbit
05-23-2007, 11:26 PM
When Samantha went through the take a bite and chunk it phase, I gave her just one bite. She would accept the perfect size to fit in her mouth, cram it in, and then hold out her hand for more. It was really really mindnumbingly boring to sit beside her and hand her one bite at a time, for an ENTIRE toddler chewed meal, but it got us through that phase. After that phase, we went through a similar one where if I put too many choices on her plate, she'd throw them on the floor, and then demand more. So more sitting, offering her a little serving of one food. Then a little serving of another food. And slowly rotating one tiny serving at a time through all the foods available that meal.

expatmom
05-24-2007, 05:14 AM
That could work :think Do you have any ideas? She's on formula but she really loves water.

Would she eat a blended smoothy of some type? Fruit & ice & yogurt blended up?