PDA

View Full Version : High Efficiency Appliances?

MrsHutch
05-23-2007, 07:22 AM
We are looking to buy all new appliances for the house we are hoping to buy (it doesn't come with any). We don't have a lot of money to work with, but I am wanting to get the high efficiency ones because they are supposed to save money on bills (the website says up to 30% lower bills) so I figure they will eventually pay for themselves, right? DH is looking at the cheapest appliances possible which makes me :/ .

Anybody else had to make this decision? What did you wind up going with and why?

allisonintx
05-23-2007, 07:43 AM
Ok, check to see if you have a Sears Outlet near you. We got our HE/front loading washer/dryer there for a really good deal. They have a lot of "scratch and dent" out of box floor models for sale there.

Buying cheap appliances is not a good idea. Getting a good deal on quality ones, is.

Our water bill dropped 20% when we switched, but that is not where the real savings is. The real savings is in how it is gentler on your clothing so it lasts longer.

iplsmama
05-23-2007, 08:07 AM
Aside from washers and dryers a lot of the cheaper appliances are the very efficient. When we buy we look at the top 5 for efficiency then factor in price. I'm sure you know to check the energy star website.

MrsHutch
05-23-2007, 04:03 PM
Hmm... the closest Sears outlet is almost 200 miles away. :/

DH is still insisting on the cheapest possible stuff! :banghead

Aside from washers and dryers a lot of the cheaper appliances are the very efficient. When we buy we look at the top 5 for efficiency then factor in price. I'm sure you know to check the energy star website.

I was thinking a second ago that I might be able to compromise on the cheap range/oven, cheap range hood, and middle of the line fridge if he would compromise and let me get a nicer washer and dryer... :think

How big of a deal is the fridge? Is an energy efficient fridge a hill I should die on?

allisonintx
05-23-2007, 07:12 PM
Well, you get what you pay for. I'm sorry that he can't see that.

I would (and have) dealt with worse refrigerators/ranges in order to have a really nice washer/dryer.

With the consideration of your potentially growing family, I would advise you to try and strike that deal.

JavaMama
05-23-2007, 08:43 PM
I vote for the HE washing machine because it really pays off in our experience. It cut our monthly water bill in half right away. :) Our new dryer is more efficient than our old one too.

Personally, I wouldn't compromise on the oven because cooking in an oven that doesn't cook/bake well is a DAILY problem. ;)

When we bought our fridge I didn't even compare efficiency :blush, we just picked the size we wanted and went with that so I can't comment on that.

I agree with Allison, you get what you pay for (and sometimes not even that :shifty).

canadiyank
05-25-2007, 01:26 PM
We have an HE washer and dryer. Not sure about the dishwasher. :think Other stuff are in the house that we rent. Fridge is a huge energy drain, so I would definitely look into that.