PDA

View Full Version : Ummmm....EEEWWWW!!!

catholicapmom
05-18-2007, 12:43 PM
I was just talking to my mom about using Splenda to sweeten stuff since she's diabetic and now I'm dealing with this GD. She said that when my brother went to ODU (here in VA) and was taking culinary classes reps from Splenda came and talked the the budding chefs about it. They said that it's made from sugar but that it's not absorbed by the body because they attach chlorine molecules to the sugar molecules (after breaking the sugar down). :hunh :sick

I know about Stevia but you can't find Stevia in things like yogurt (at least none that I can afford). :sigh

J3K
05-18-2007, 12:46 PM
I know...totally gross isn't it ??

Aspartame is just as bad.

Look for the generic form of Splenda in your cabinets. "Sucralose". It's simply everywhere. Doesn't even have to be labeled as such because it's "made from sugar". (which got the company a fat lawsuit btw)

cobluegirl
05-18-2007, 02:32 PM
yah...gross

4MKfam
05-18-2007, 03:01 PM
Yeah. Splenda is made from sugar about like "fruit snacks" are made from "real" fruit :P~.
I did manage to find some yogurt in AZ that was sweetened only with fruit juice and it was MARVELOUS! I believe it used to go on sale for .50 a container. Not terribly cheap, but comparable to yoplait... I think the name was cascade farms or something like that.

Irene
05-18-2007, 04:11 PM
hmmm the yogurt I get doesnt have sweeteners, I dont think so anyway. Just like yogurt, fruit or maple syrup. something like that. no sugar or sucralose or anything. :shrug brown cow and nancys. I get it at the regular grocery store.

Look for the generic form of Splenda in your cabinets. "Sucralose". It's simply everywhere. Doesn't even have to be labeled as such because it's "made from sugar". (which got the company a fat lawsuit btw)

yeah :/ My mom was so excited about this "soda" she got that was all natural, she was happy they found something with no hfcs. She was giving it to the kids, so excited she found this natural soda at Costco. I read the ingredients and Im like "uh, mom, its got sucralose in it". she was horrified. poor thing.

TuneMyHeart
05-18-2007, 04:13 PM
We don't eat/drink anything with splenda or aspartame at our house. :no2

Brown cow yogurt is yummy!!!

MarynMunchkins
05-18-2007, 04:15 PM
Buy plain yogurt and add fruit. :yum

We don't do artificial sweeteners her either. Well, unless you count the HFCS in my Dr. Pepper. It's my vice. :P

Irene
05-18-2007, 05:29 PM
naughty naughty :P~

Its bugging me that you can hardly get a drink anymore without something bad in it. I was happy to see flavored water, and, yep, sure enough, splenda :td we dont get sodas or anything, but sometimes it would be nice when we are out and about to get a "special" drink every now and again. I stand there and read every label, then still end up with a bottle of water. (yeah, I know, bring my own, it would be cheaper, I forget sometimes, and sometimes, we run out if the day is getting long).

JJsMom
05-18-2007, 05:46 PM
Its bugging me that you can hardly get a drink anymore without something bad in it. I was happy to see flavored water, and, yep, sure enough, splenda :td we dont get sodas or anything, but sometimes it would be nice when we are out and about to get a "special" drink every now and again. I stand there and read every label, then still end up with a bottle of water. (yeah, I know, bring my own, it would be cheaper, I forget sometimes, and sometimes, we run out if the day is getting long).

I sometimes get a juice as a special drink! :giggle When I am looking for something to do, I go to the mall and we buy a bottle of Nantucket Nectars juice. :yum It's really expensive (it comes to almost $2!!! :jawdrop) but it feels like a special treat and my ds and I really enjoy it. Sorry ot. :O

crunchymum
05-18-2007, 05:54 PM
Buy plain yogurt and add fruit. :yum

We don't do artificial sweeteners her either. Well, unless you count the HFCS in my Dr. Pepper. It's my vice. :P

:yes or add that spreadable fruit - deeelicious. :yum

catholicapmom
05-19-2007, 06:30 AM
Yeahhh, I can't have yogurt sweetened with fruit because it has too many carbs which will send my sugar up. :/

4MKfam
05-19-2007, 09:13 AM
:doh Yeah, I thought of that after I posted.

Ali
05-19-2007, 09:49 AM
(In my best "Monica from Friends" voice) I KNOW!

It's everywhere isn't it? I am so tired of buying things and then later finding sucralose in it - Bah! Stuff that says "1/3 less sugar" I think "Great! That was always too sweet for me. This going to be awesome!" and then I read the box and find they just replaced sugar with Splenda. Grrrr!!

I got into the Splenda thing when I started SouthBeach years ago because I think the book has some Splenda recipes in it. Then I did some reading and I also noticed it upset my stomach if I had too much.

For yogurt, I buy plain fat free and put a tsp of all fruit jam/jelly in it. Works for me! I also found (finally) a grape and strawberry jelly from Smuckers (i think) that is 1/2 the sugar and is actually half the sugar with no artificial sweeteners. It tastes plenty sweet.

I've finally decided to stick with natural sweeteners - maple syrup, turbinado sugar, etc - and use them in small amounts.

Mary, I need to send you a case of Original Dr Pepper that is made with cane sugar. We can get it around here and it's AWESOME - no aftertaste. :tu

Ajani
05-22-2007, 10:09 AM
Thankfully we don't really have hfcs here in Canada (I've seen in in one brand of pop, and I think that was brought over the boarder to be sold here by the store owner). But I know what you mean about Splenda. We don't use it either (or any other artificial sweetners). I can't imagine feeding that stuff to my son.

hey mommy
05-22-2007, 10:13 AM
Gross. I didn't know it was made like that. EWWW. Good thing I try to never eat it(sometimes I'll drink/eat something and then realize AFTER that it had splenda or aspartame or other junk).

Man.. why is it that anything that tastes good kills you? bummer....

Lady TS
05-25-2007, 06:54 PM
I try to avoid bringing Splenda/sucralose into our home. Aspartame too. Today I realized that the case of regular ol' generic root beer has sucralose in it. :banghead You have to read like every single label on things!

I am more lax with hfcs though I do try to keep it out too. Cereals and such are sometimes hard to find w/o that in them. :/

My personal vice is Coca-Cola. And I haven't been able to find kosher Coke...

Ajani
05-28-2007, 05:04 PM
If you're near the boarder, come and get it in Canada. We don't have hfcs here.

Irene
05-28-2007, 05:22 PM
yeah my parents said the soda is so much better in Europe too.... they got back in the US, were in the airport and about :sick when they got a soda with hfcs in it.

allisonintx
05-28-2007, 06:18 PM
In TX you can buy Mexican Coke and it has real sugar in it.