PDA

View Full Version : Need help organizing medicinal herbs (bulk) and vitamins & deep kitchen cabinet

tempus vernum
05-18-2007, 05:57 AM
3 things I need help with

1. I have a lot of bulk medicinal herbs. I tailor make infusions when we get sick so I have about 8 bulk medicinal herbs each one in a jar just smaller than a quart sized mason jar.

For now, I just threw them in a large basket with all of our "sick vitamins" (things we take when ill but not daily) that sit on top of my cabinets. I am uncertain what to do with them.

2. daily vitamins - they are also in a basket above the counters. I am starting to want to have a better system for this. I don't know if its because I cook SO SO much but my kitchen really isn't that disorganized but I have very little space and a good sized kitchen with a lot of cabinets

3. NOt sure what to do with a really deep/narrow ktichen cabinet. It tends to become cluttered and not very usable. I keep thinking maybe I need to find odd sized containers that fit the shelves? and put the vitamins and herbs here and just pull the countainers out when I need them? ANy other thoughts. RIght now (there are 6 shelves). The top is my aluminum foil, press n seal, parchment paper, etc. I actually rarely use these so it gets very cluttered. Next shelf has fry cutter, peeler/corer/slicer,. Shelf 3 has teas and tea pots. Shelf 4 is currently empty (emptied it yesterday). SHelf 5 holds potatoes, shelf 6 hold onions.

Okay I have another question now

WHere would I find a variety of sizes of containers because now that I typed if I am enjoying the concept of putting bins in there but I'd like them to be long enough to fit all the way to the back to use the space decently.

Thanks in advance!

RealLifeMama
05-18-2007, 06:06 AM
I know you do not want to use plastic, so ignore this recommendation, but Tupperware Super Ovals are skinny and deep.
They come in a variety of heights.

I had to chuckle at the herbs on the counter. I have a couple jars of herbs on my counter as well, and if anyone asks, DH says "Oh, that's just her weed. "

Sorry I am not more help, I am the last person to give organization advice!

tempus vernum
05-18-2007, 06:20 AM
I know you do not want to use plastic, so ignore this recommendation, but Tupperware Super Ovals are skinny and deep.
They come in a variety of heights.

I had to chuckle at the herbs on the counter. I have a couple jars of herbs on my counter as well, and if anyone asks, DH says "Oh, that's just her weed. "

Sorry I am not more help, I am the last person to give organization advice!

:laughtears It does look like weed though sometimes :shifty

Hmm... I am not against plastic to contain all my stuff (since its in jars anyways :think)

I suppose the first step would be to measure the interior of my cabinet before I look into what to buy for it ? :doh

I just measured the cabinet and it's 22.5" deep by 8.75" wide so I am thinking 22" x 8.5" or less

Katherine
05-18-2007, 09:37 AM
If you have a nearby pantry, closet, coat closet, or garage door... you could hang one of the over-the-door wire shelving units to keep them on. I have one in the laundry call (coat closet) right off my kitchen. I can walk a few steps, open the door and everything is right in front of me.

I have a spice shelf very high on the wall above my stove. (I'm tall so it's not a problem. dh can barely reach them... :shifty :O :giggle)

You could put something similar lower, of course.... I just went to a craft store and bought an unfinished narrow shelf with trim on it (so the bottles can't slip off) that is about 30" inches long, 3" high, and 2" deep... big enough to put a row of spice jars and squeeze a few in behind as well... deep enough for the large square spice containers also.

crunchymum
05-18-2007, 09:40 AM
i just posted in the decluttering thread... :blush

tempus vernum
05-18-2007, 09:57 PM
:giggle well, I responded there and just copied my reply here :P~

First, WOW :jawdrop Your organizing efforts are so inspiring to me :heart. I am trying to find bins that fit everything well and figure out where they'll go best. I hate to admit how many herbs and spices and vitamins. First, let me say, I have a HUGE herb cabinet with 47 spices (not counting bottled extracts, vinegars, oils, and anything not bottled). :hiding These are all for cooking and I keep them alphabetized. It is a wonderfully narrow cabinet that is perfect for us as some kitchen herbs I keep in quart mason jars, some in smaller ones and there is very little wasted space and nothing is doubled up. DH needs to replace two shelves and I could probably dedicate one of the new shelves to medicinal herbs for tincture making -- the thought occurred to me because I threw away a bunch of stuff I don't use a few weeks ago (yes, 47 *IS* DECLUTTERED :O). ANd then my thin cabinet could hold our vitamins and tinctures and pre-prepared herbal remedies in nice long skinny bins :think My kitchen just has me so so flabbergasted. The only "centers" I have managed to arrange is "bread making" and "coffee making".

JJsMom
05-19-2007, 01:03 PM
You inspired me Jodi! I cleaned out my spice cupboard today. I took before and after pics but haven't downoaded them yet. I found things in there that we haven't used in over 3 years! :jawdrop :blush I actually have extra space, now to decide what to put in there. :think