PDA

View Full Version : What age? Telling them the "tough" things in life

booboo
05-17-2007, 11:43 AM
I'm talking about hard stuff like animals hunting or eating animals. I wasn't sure to put this here or in the homeschooling forum so please feel free to move it. I was hs'ing today, we're learning about Africa and those wonderful animals. We had a Zebras book and it tells about how lions, cheetahs, etc do hunt them. Some of the pictures were hard even for me. (I've always been sensitive about these things) I had to cover the pictures and gently explain to them about this. And I told them it's hard for me. It wasn't all dead/dying zebras, but still a few pictures were tough to deal with.

Was this okay? They are 8 and 6 1/2 (2nd grade and K). Is this too young to talk about? Do you think I handled it okay? :shrug

flowermama
05-17-2007, 04:44 PM
I think it sounds like you handled it just fine. :hug2

klpmommy
05-17-2007, 04:46 PM
We have already talked about animals eating other animals. :shrug Just wondering, are you vegetarian/vegan? B/c then I can definately see how it would be harder to talk about, but we aren't so it isn't that big of a deal to us.

booboo
05-17-2007, 04:52 PM
Yeah I'm a vegetarian. More like an "ovo" one, sorta. It's due to food allergies. I like to tell people that God had me become allergic since it always bothered me personally about eating meat. Like a personal conviction. I don't tell others not to eat meat and my dh eats it. I've always been able to accept others do it but not me. kwim?

hey mommy
05-17-2007, 04:54 PM
We've always told C about it. It's just part of life. He knows about dying and stuff. He's always watched the Animal Planet shows w/us and knows how animals eat other animals, etc. He sees the pictures, he watches the hunts and the kills that hte animals do. I see no reason to hide it from him. It's part of life.

klpmommy
05-17-2007, 05:00 PM
Yeah I'm a vegetarian. More like an "ovo" one, sorta. It's due to food allergies. I like to tell people that God had me become allergic since it always bothered me personally about eating meat. Like a personal conviction. I don't tell others not to eat meat and my dh eats it. I've always been able to accept others do it but not me. kwim?

:hug In that case I can really understand how hard it was for you. You did fine.