PDA

View Full Version : Do your dc's wear shoes in the backyard?

asher
05-16-2007, 04:06 PM
Just wondering... :think

Embracing Grace
05-16-2007, 04:10 PM
occasionally... if it's warm enough ds is barefoot. :)

Iarwain
05-16-2007, 04:11 PM
Our backyard has lots of things in it that could hurt little feet so yes. If we didn't live on an old, old farm property that kept popping up random nails, bits of wire, and the occasional piece of glass I'd let them go barefoot.

booboo
05-16-2007, 04:19 PM
Yes they do. We have lots of violets and dandelions in our yard. (it was all over the place until my dh cut the grass, but they will come back quickly) I just don't want to chance them stepping on bees.

mom2threegirls
05-16-2007, 04:21 PM
They're supposed to (but they often take them off :rolleyes). I have beauty bark on the beds out there and they walk through them all the time and get splinters :( :shrug. They seem to think it's worth it, though, because they still take their shoes off! :giggle

Ali
05-16-2007, 04:23 PM
Mine goes barefoot a lot. Our yard is clear of sharp objects. I have thought about the wasps, but we don't see a whole lot of them unless we have the pool out.

Blue Aurora
05-16-2007, 04:30 PM
Yep, ours are barefoot alot of the time.

3xblessed
05-16-2007, 04:31 PM
Sometimes they do, sometimes not.

asher
05-16-2007, 04:33 PM
Yep, ours are barefoot alot of the time.

Yes, ours too. My only concern is the deck that needs to be refinished, but aside from that it's safe.

Jenny
05-16-2007, 04:36 PM
I would let DS go barefoot in the yard if he wanted to, but he would hate it. Sensory issues.

klpmommy
05-16-2007, 05:07 PM
I let the kids decide. Our yard is safe except for dog poo & I try to keep that cleaned up. But we spend more time in the front (more shade) and there is no poo there anyway.

Heather Micaela
05-16-2007, 05:19 PM
mine are barefoot in our front yard :) (Our backyard is just a patio - but the answer to that is yes too.)

Lady TS
05-16-2007, 05:48 PM
We live in an old old farmhouse too, AND there's a ton of dandelions and bees and wasps outside, so nope, no barefoot kids here(lately...though sometimes they do take their shoes off....but it's not a normal everyday thing with my approval here, lol).

milkmommy
05-16-2007, 05:55 PM
nope matter of fact we made a new rule today that DD is not allowed to have shoes on unless shes going to school/church or other in car places. :shifty Why? cause shes just takes them off and them leaves them this morning I had to AGAIN go get them from under a tree where she left them yesterday completely soaked (sprinklers come on like 3am) Its hot hot hot here the pavment is really hot and there is lots of cactus and weird crawly things yet shes unfazed by it. :shifty but she mostly plays in grass anyways. :shrug

Deanna

gentle_answer
05-16-2007, 06:06 PM
No. They love barefoot (so do I :shifty )

At our old house we shared a yard with our neighbor. She felt the backyard was unsafe for bare feet (old nails, glass, etc.) but I felt the risk was extremely small. I felt bad for her kids because they wanted to be bare foot like mine, but I just can't handle putting shoes on everyone. What a hassle.

klpmommy
05-16-2007, 06:08 PM
nope matter of fact we made a new rule today that DD is not allowed to have shoes on unless shes going to school/church or other in car places. :shifty Why? cause shes just takes them off and them leaves them this morning I had to AGAIN go get them from under a tree where she left them yesterday completely soaked (sprinklers come on like 3am) Its hot hot hot here the pavment is really hot and there is lots of cactus and weird crawly things yet shes unfazed by it. :shifty but she mostly plays in grass anyways. :shrug

Deanna

That is one of the reasons why we go barefoot so much. I got tired of looking for shoes. Now we pretty much keep them in the car. :giggle I gave up having them put them on at home b/c it seemed like I spent forever corralling them, just to walk to the driveway & have them rip them off in the car.

Amber
05-16-2007, 06:12 PM
Cole mostly goes barefoot in the yard. We do have some bees and he did get stung on the ankle last year but he doesn't really seem to care. He is more concerned about the occasional dog poo that gets missed :giggle

hey mommy
05-16-2007, 07:30 PM
Only when it's so hot that you can't touch the cement w/o getting 1st degree burns. Even then we try to add water.

We prefer to be barefoot all the time. our shoes come off as soon as we get home just b/c it's comfy.

mamaKristin
05-16-2007, 07:41 PM
we're mostly always wearing shoes in the yard. too many little rocks, wasps (I'm allergic) and our grass isn't that nice under foot.

WanderingJuniper
05-25-2007, 10:42 AM
Shoes are optional in our house and yard once the temp stays above 60. They must wear shoes if they want to ride their bikes. So that often turns into them putting shoes on, riding bike, taking shoes off, leaving shoes in yard. I don't mind though. I'd be barefoot everywhere if i were allowed.

amanda1
05-31-2007, 09:52 AM
We don't wear shoes in or outside our house (except in winter). We have tons of clover with bees, and a stone driveway, but chancing a sting and dealing with the stones are worth having the freedom of bare feet!

Mother Duck
06-01-2007, 12:51 AM
While we live in NZ they go barefoot most of the time :) If/when we move to Aussie they will be wearing shoes if outside.

illinoismommy
06-02-2007, 08:46 AM
Our backyard has lots of things in it that could hurt little feet so yes. If we didn't live on an old, old farm property that kept popping up random nails, bits of wire, and the occasional piece of glass I'd let them go barefoot.

us also, though sometimes it is a struggle when he swims in the kiddie pool and then gets out.... its really dangerous... we planted bushes in front of our house a month ago and I picked up 300 nails within a 15 foot part right in front of our house, and I guarantee I didn't find them all. It looks like someone took boxes of nails and dumped them off the roof at one point, I don't know what they were doing..... its really frustrating

Nightingale
06-02-2007, 08:54 AM
Mine usually don't...we have bark around the edges of the yard, and the swingset is in bark, but they don't mind the splinters. I do put shoes on the baby if she goes out.

Taedareth
06-04-2007, 01:29 AM
My DS doesn't wear shoes at the local park! Hahaa.... but that's only because he lost one of his shoes and I haven't bought new ones yet. Soft-sole leather shoes are soo expensive. :no2

veggie_mum
06-13-2007, 02:01 PM
Sometimes...usually not, though.