PDA

View Full Version : Carob vs. cocoa?

Carrie in PA
05-16-2007, 07:04 AM
Hi everyone!

Wow, I haven't posted here in months!!! I have a question about carob powder. After backsliding for a while I am getting back to more healthful ways for my family and am wondering about carob vs. cocoa. What is the benefit of using unsweetened carob powder over unsweetened cocoa powder? I compared the labels of a brand of carob vs. organic dark cocoa powder at the store and the cocoa had more fiber and protein that the carob. It seems to me that it is healthier, as dark chocolate has many health benefits (in moderation of course!). I ended up buying the carob because I have recipes that call for it.....but why do people choose it over cocoa?

cobluegirl
05-16-2007, 09:14 AM
I am not sure. I think a lot of people initially chose carob over chocolate because of the dairy in most chocolates..but there isn't any dairy in cocoa powder..I personally don't care much for carob. I want the real thing.

herbalmama
05-16-2007, 09:25 AM
The only diet I know of that restricts cocoa is an antifungal diet b/c of the way the cocoa beans are roasted. I know, like cobluegirl said some restrict it b/c of the dairy, but I have found plenty of good chocolate with no dairy (Trader Joe's brand) .. I think some of it is that it is in the health food store so people pick it up and assume it is healthier. Carob is also caffeine free, so maybe that leads some to it... Personally, I think with all the great health benefits in chocolate, why bother, but that is my chocolaholic self :giggle

Iarwain
05-16-2007, 10:48 AM
Isn't carob supposed to be lower in fat? Or something like that? And it's naturally a little sweeter so you can use less sugar. I don't use it often because if I want chocolate I want real chocolate not something that tastes almost like chocolate but isn't. Not that carob is bad. I think it tastes fine on its own but I'd rather use real cocoa.