PDA

View Full Version : My neighbor had to put her dog down..the one I babysit frequently

J3K
05-15-2007, 03:39 PM
I'm set to babysit the neighbor's two dogs this week , and for the next ten days. They have two dogs. A little maltese and a giant rottweiler.

I got a phone call today. They had to put the Rotty to sleep last Thursday. I loved that dog so very much. I'm feeling upset about the dog's death , I didn't get a chance to say goodbye to the dog , and I'm feeling hurt the owners didn't tell me sooner.

I know I'm "just" the dog-sitter , I know I'm not a member of the family , I know the decision was made suddenly , I feel they made the right decision....I'm just hurt I was left out. :shrug

The doggie had a neurological disorder and it caused her back legs to malfunction. As of Thursday she couldn't walk anymore. She was a big girl ( 120 + lbs) and she was miserable. Up til then we thought it was just joint stuff that happens with large dogs. Again , I feel they made the right decision to put the dog down.....and I shouldn't feel like I was left out of the decision process as it wasn't my decision to make...but I do.

I will babysit the little maltese this week and comfort her while the owners regretfully have to leave town. They wanted to take her with them , but they can't. I have the owner's permission to see if the little maltese fits in here at my house , and if she does , I'll just keep her here with us , instead of alone (for the first time) in her own house.

I'm trying really hard not to feel resentful , but it's a feeling I've been batting down all day. It's not that I had to have control over the situation , or even that they needed my permission to put the dog down. It's not a feeling of being out of control...it's a sad feeling that I was left out. I would've liked to have known the day of , or the next day. But they waited five days to tell me...and I live two doors down from them , and I'm scheduled to babysit their remaining dog for the next ten days.

:sigh

Partially...this brought back feelings of losing my Murray-monster. He died a year ago this June. Both deaths were sudden , and with both cases I didn't get to say goodbye to the doggies before they died.

Got any hugs for me ? I could use a few dozen or so.

I did get a good deal of support from my 14yo ds. He laid down next to me this morning and patted my shoulder offered physical comfort. He's such a remarkable kid. He seems to know exactly what I need in situations like this. Physical affection coupled with solid eye contact and an "I'm so sorry Mom". I think I woulda had a much tougher time with the news this morning if ds wasn't here with me.

mom2_AthruZ
05-15-2007, 03:49 PM
:hug2 I'm sorry you didn't get to say goodbye and that you found out so many days later. I'm glad your son was able to comfort you.

LadybugSam
05-15-2007, 04:27 PM
:hug2

Amber
05-15-2007, 08:13 PM
:hug2