PDA

View Full Version : Can I get myself or cats tested for toxoplas-whatever?

klpmommy
05-14-2007, 05:03 PM
I am just tired of being paranoid all the time about it.

OpalsMom
05-14-2007, 05:22 PM
Tests for immunity to toxoplasmosis are routine in pregnancy. They don't test whether you have it, just whether you could get it (lots of people are immune and don't know they ever had it; toxoplasmosis is not particularly dangerous to humans who have been born already). Your O/B should be able to tell you whether or not you are immune, they normally test as part of the first blood screen for every pregnancy.

As for testing the cats, there's no point. The problem is not that you're going to catch it because the cats have it; the problem is that you could catch it because the cats eat infected stuff and it's in their feces. The cats are very likely immune, but knowing that means nothing. They could go eat something infected tomorrow without catching anything, and if you aren't immune, you could still get it from their feces.

Amber
05-14-2007, 10:49 PM
You can get tested for it...I was tested with my first pg and came back negative which really suprised me. I would be more woried about getting it from working in the garden soil than I would from my cat :shifty

Zooey
05-15-2007, 12:32 AM
You can get tested for it...I was tested with my first pg and came back negative which really suprised me. I would be more woried about getting it from working in the garden soil than I would from my cat :shifty

:yes I have a relative who is a vet, & he said that the soil is where most cats get it....
All of which came up, because I was visiting my sick pet at the clinic, & the woman cleaning out the cages was obviously pregnant, & I was all mother-hennish over it..... She told me, she had all ready been tested, & was immune.
So, if its a constatnt worry to you, ask your doctor about it. Definitely better for you than all that stress!! :hug2

klpmommy
05-15-2007, 05:35 AM
I'll definately talk to the ob about getting tested when I go next time. I wear gloves when I work outside & when I do the litterbox. My cats are 100% inside, but, yeah, I am feeling very worried/paranoid this time around & it would settle my mind a lot to know either way. Thank for the advice.

blessedwithboys
05-15-2007, 06:16 AM
I'll bet you've already been tested. The practices I've gone to with both of my pregnancies run the toxoplasmosis test with the first bloodwork you do. If you're really worried then you should be able to just call and ask them :). FWIW we don't even have a cat, but I grew up on a farm w/ cats around and I tested immune. Having your cats be indoor only should really help out w/ them not contracting it anyway though.