PDA

View Full Version : Siatic pain

rosesnsnails
05-14-2007, 09:29 AM
Is there any kind of stretching or whatever that I could do to relieve the pain? It started over the weekend and I can not get it to stop. Usually, if I hang off the bed, it relieves the pain. It isn't working this time. Uggg

LadybugSam
05-14-2007, 09:40 AM
Yes there is stretching you're supposed to be doing to alleviate the pain and also to avoid it all together. BUT i have no idea what they are :doh My MIL went through physical therapy after she injured hers REALLY BAD and has been doing the exercises ever sinse.

If i'm not mistaken they're torso strengthening exercises because the sciatic nerve is usually injured at the spine.

hopefully someone will have more info for ya

Quiteria
05-14-2007, 11:31 AM
:popcorn

Well, I know mine is preg related...and since we have no $ for a chiro, I hope someone chimes in, too!

rosesnsnails
05-15-2007, 09:02 AM
Just bumping this to see if anyone has any ideas. I am doing better, but it still hurts.

kwisie
05-15-2007, 09:09 AM
Here are a few things that help me:
-Stretch the muscles from the back of your waist all the way down to the back of your calves, paying special attention to your rear area and your calves.
-Don't sit for long periods.
-Walk as much as you can.
-When you lie down, put a pillow or two under your knees if you're on your back, and put a pillow between your knees if you're on your side.
-Take some cal-mag.

I hope you feel better soon. That is no fun. :no2

SPKarenO
05-15-2007, 09:10 AM
This is cut from an email from a childbirth educator friend of mine about sciatica pain.

Also you can go to yogajournal.com and type in sciatica under
"condition" and it will show you stretching exercises for sciatica.
Just choose the ones you can do when pregnant.

http://yogajournal.com/poses/index.cfm?ctsrc=tnav

I am not into all the meanings of the poses, I just look at the pics
and figure out which one would help. I was told by an instructor that
was in my class that I would benefit from the half moon pose and when
you click on sciatica you can see it. I have the leg that hurts down
and lift the other one and I feel it stretching in the glute and down
the leg.

For me...what helped the most, besides seeing a chiropractor who treats pregnant women, was stretching my gluts...so i found that sitting with one leg extended and the other (the one I was trying to stretch) crossed over, and then pulling up at the knee, toward my chest worked great. You may need to kind of shift the leg around to find the right angle to hit the spot, but when you find it you'll know. This also worked great standing, with the other leg (the one I was trying to stretch) on my bed or a rail or a table, and then leaning forward towards that leg. Again, kind of shift your weight and the direction of your stretch around until you hit the spot.

HTH.