PDA

View Full Version : How can I get my blood pressure up?

hey mommy
05-11-2007, 05:15 PM
I'm not used to this, I'm used to trying hard to lower it.

Right now it's 120/73. Yikes. No wonder I'm dizzy. Any ideas? That's according to the blood pressure machine at Target. Twice. After having to listen to a woman gush over another womans baby(and the big sister of course) and bursting into tears in the Target Starbucks.

So, any ideas??

allisonintx
05-11-2007, 05:35 PM
120/73 is healthy blood pressure.

When you're moving, it's easy to get dehydrated and have low blood sugar, though. Are you getting regular nourishment and a good 100oz of water each day?

hey mommy
05-11-2007, 05:47 PM
It may have been lower actually. Once I got home I realized I couldn't remember.. lol.

When you're moving, it's easy to get dehydrated and have low blood sugar, though. Are you getting regular nourishment and a good 100oz of water each day?

Nope, and nope. :(

allisonintx
05-11-2007, 05:49 PM
:hugheart I know it's hard to do when you're moving and all, but especially with all that is going on, it's good to at least try to be good to yourself. It will help your hormone levels even out faster and help you feel steadier all the way around, which is a blessing not just to you but a gift to your precious husband and boy.

Punkie
05-11-2007, 05:56 PM
Yeah, that's a good blood pressure :tu Right around 120/80 is considered "typical". Maybe check again to see if you remembered the numbers wrong. Mine is usually around 105/65, and the nurses always compliment me for it being nice and low. If it gets below 90/60 then you might want to see a doctor, but even blood pressure that low is not necessarily a sign of anything wrong :) For a lot of people, that is just normal. Do you know where your blood pressure usually is?

I agree about checking your blood sugar levels. My can go low really easily :sad2 That is especially true if I'm not getting enough protein or too many bad carbs.

klpmommy
05-11-2007, 06:49 PM
Agree with the others. At my dr appt the other day my bp was 104/60 (the lowest I ever remember it being) & they said "great!" Normally I am around the one-teens/seventy-ish. (Man, the kids must have been extra good that morning for my bp to be that good!)

We have a blood sugar testing machine here b/c dh is a diabetic. 95% of the time I am feeling dizzy I can test my blood sugar & it is pretty low & I need to eat. Often it happens after I have eaten something very sweet & I am in the middle of a "sugar crash". But if I am eating overall healthy I get very few sugar crashes, even if I do have a high sugar snack.

I agree about checking your blood sugar levels. My can go low really easily :sad2 That is especially true if I'm not getting enough protein or too many bad carbs.

Mine go really low, too. And thanks to dh's testing equipment I have learned to tell when I am having low blood sugar & can combat it more easily.

Punkie
05-11-2007, 06:55 PM
:yes You can often get a glucometer for free or very cheap at the drugstore. They make their money off of the testing strips, which last me forever since I am not testing multiple times a day :)

klpmommy
05-11-2007, 07:17 PM
:yes You can often get a glucometer for free or very cheap at the drugstore. They make their money off of the testing strips, which last me forever since I am not testing multiple times a day :)

:yes I just use dh's b/c he doesn't test as much as he should, but we always order the prescribed amount. But I have seen machines for under $10. Test strips come in packages of 50 I think & are expensive, but for occassional testing 50 will last a looooooooong time!

Punkie
05-11-2007, 07:43 PM
You should also get a free pack of strips with the machine :)

allisonintx
05-13-2007, 05:37 PM
Around here you can get a free meter when you buy the strips. I always though that was weird!

kcasmama
05-13-2007, 06:00 PM
Mine is always around 90/65-70. Only one doc ever thought it an issue and he told me to get more exercise :shrug.

4MKfam
05-13-2007, 08:27 PM
:shifty
Mine's always around that range :shrug. I once had a nurse ask if I was dead after taking my bp three times (she wouldn't believe it was as low as it was) when I tried to give blood. The only time I've had dizziness problems due to low bp was when I had an epidural with my last labor. :duck I know, I know. At least I knew enough to warn the nurse about my history of low bp and to mention it right away when I started feeling dizzy.
Was your bp higher at some point, or has it always been low?

hey mommy
05-13-2007, 10:16 PM
I used to be on high blood pressure meds., so this is odd for me..