PDA

View Full Version : Neti Pot

Learnin'2B
05-10-2007, 07:27 PM
I got one. It seemed to make my sinuses more stuffy. :( It has it's own solution that came with it. Maybe I need something else. I was thinking maybe a drop or two of tea tree oil in the water may help? :shrug Maybe a neti pot is just not for me?
Can someone help me with this? I know tea tree oil is a disinfectant, but I'm not sure about in my nose. :shifty
TIA!

DeenyB
05-10-2007, 08:21 PM
:popcorn
I have wanted to get one too, so just lurking for advice as well!

Herbwifemama
05-10-2007, 09:01 PM
The idea of tea tree oil on my mucus membranes sounds extremely uncomfortable to me! :eek

Rabbit
05-10-2007, 09:27 PM
It takes a long time to melt all of the stuff out of my nose. The water has to be really warm, and I feel best using bottled water, preferably distilled, in case there is anything in your tap water that you are allergic to, or bacteria in the pipes, etc. And I have to blow very very gently. You can follow it up with an icy washcloth pressed against your face. That'll shrink the sinus tissue back down, since it may be very inflamed. I wouldn't use any other solution. There is salt and baking soda in the solution that came with it. Just salt and water would work, though.

Learnin'2B
05-11-2007, 07:41 PM
Thanks. Bottled water may be what I need. I haven't used it today and I'm back to where I was before using it. Which is uncomfortable but not miserable like I was after.
I was wondering about a drop of tea tree oil being uncomfortable...but maybe killing the bacteria causing this...so I was wondering if it would be more uncomfortable than the sick that I've got. I was wondering about the danger of it....will I be able to smell...? Ever again..? and such.. :giggle
I've decided against it though. My dh got me a Vicks vapor inhaler and it's working good! I can still feel the pressure in my ears, and my throat is still scratchy, but I can breathe!

If I get sick again, I will try the bottled water instead of tap and also make it a bit warmer. I had it very luke warm.

Thanks!

jenn3514
05-13-2007, 07:41 PM
Where did you find this? Iwas thinking about getting one, but can't find it. I thought maybe I could try it just inhaling water from my hand, doesn't work! :blush Also tried a nasal syringe-there's very fine line between gentle and forcefully shooting water up your nose!

Punkie
05-13-2007, 07:44 PM
I bought mine at Wild Oats (health food store). I love mine. I just use a mixture of warm water and non-iodized sea salt. It came with directions on how much to mix :)

Learnin'2B
05-14-2007, 12:00 PM
I got it at CVS. She didn't know what I was asking about when I said "neti pot" but when I described it to her and said "sinus cleansing", or somthing to that effect, she knew what to look for. Here's the brand: http://www.sinucleanse.com/

knitlove
05-15-2007, 06:48 AM
I love my Neti Pot, I have been using it for about 4 months. I started before my allergies really kicked in and it would completely clear me up with one use. Once my sinuses were full because of my allergies using it once would make me feel moor stuffy. My solution was to use really warm water and using two or three pot fulls at a time (it would take a long time). Running moor water through seemed to pull enough stuff out to make me feel better when I was really stuffed up.

Learnin'2B
05-15-2007, 04:18 PM
I love my Neti Pot, I have been using it for about 4 months. I started before my allergies really kicked in and it would completely clear me up with one use. Once my sinuses were full because of my allergies using it once would make me feel moor stuffy. My solution was to use really warm water and using two or three pot fulls at a time (it would take a long time). Running moor water through seemed to pull enough stuff out to make me feel better when I was really stuffed up.

My sinuses were already very full. :yes So I think that's what was going on.