PDA

View Full Version : OK, here's a challenge for all of you smart mammas....(re my 14 mo. old)

KitKat
05-10-2007, 11:58 AM
OK, so ds has had a head cold for about a week. Then yesterday was running a fever of about 101 that came down with Tylenol and stayed down. Well, this morning, he woke with this raised white patch (I'm not talking a small spot but a large patch) on his tongue. So, I called the nurse and told her what was going on and she said to bring him in for the NP to see. She had no clue what it was, but we could tell that it was painful for him. He was drooliing, and he isn't a drooler and isn't teething. He screamed when she touched it with the tongue depresser. (and apparently my 14 mo. old holds grudges because he didn't stop crying until she left the room and started crying as soon as she entered again :blush) Well, anyway, she brought in a pediatrician. He said it was "viral _____itis" I couldn't understand the first part. He said it can affect the gums, cheeks, inner lips or the tongue. He said there is no treatment because it is a virus and all we can do is treat the symptoms. So, right now it is Motrin, Tylenol (only when he needs extra pain relief and only 2 hours or more after and before a dose of Motrin) and Benadryl for the head cold.

OK so all you smart mammas, HELP!! I wanted to find info on it, but I don't know what it is called.

J3K
05-10-2007, 12:32 PM
thrush ?

Aisling
05-10-2007, 12:39 PM
Sounds like thrush. :yes2 :shrug

BeckyD
05-10-2007, 12:40 PM
Stomatitis?

Herbwifemama
05-10-2007, 01:05 PM
My first instinct was thrush, but it sounds like they KNEW what it was- a viral infection- thrush is a yeast/fungus thing. I don't know what you can do for a viral infection, other than ride it out- my biggest concern would be if it hurt that much, would it prevent him from nursing? (If he's still nursing)

KitKat
05-10-2007, 03:01 PM
Stomatitis

YUP, that's the one. I just looked it up. It is also known as Hand, foot and mouth syndrome. YUCK!! OK, so basically, I looked it up and there is nothing they can do but treat for pain. So, that is all I have found so far. Thank you guys.