PDA

View Full Version : Itchy scalp driving me crazy...

Cindy
05-09-2007, 07:56 PM
I have had problems with itchy scalp for a long time. It drives me nuts! I have not tried a dandruff shampoo because shampoo dries my hair. Any other options?

lmgeenw
05-09-2007, 07:58 PM
I have dandruff and taking fish oil regularly really helps. Making sure I am hydrated also helps with dry skin, but not sure if that is what is causing the itching.

domesticzookeeper
05-09-2007, 08:02 PM
I've had the same issues, and shampoo is soooo rough on my curly locks.

However, I have found that taking a quarter sized amount of shampoo, diluting it with water, mixing it in with conditioner and scrubbing my scalp has gotten rid of the itchies without drying out my hair! :rockon (I only scrub my scalp - the rest of my hair gets doused in conditioner ;))

BTW, I use Aussie Moist shampoo.

Cindy
05-09-2007, 08:02 PM
I take flax oil supplements nearly every day (when I don't forget :O). I also treat my hair directly with a mix of olive oil & conditioner and leave it in usually for a few hours at a time. My hair and even my face are nice and soft but my scalp is still itchy. :shrug

Cindy
05-09-2007, 08:04 PM
However, I have found that taking a quarter sized amount of shampoo, diluting it with water, mixing it in with conditioner and scrubbing my scalp has gotten rid of the itchies without drying out my hair! :rockon (I only scrub my scalp - the rest of my hair gets doused in conditioner ;))

But my hair is so thick - it is very diffucult for me to only treat the scalp.

cobluegirl
05-09-2007, 08:37 PM
I would say more oils...not flax..but fish oil perhaps....

Cindy
05-09-2007, 08:43 PM
I would say more oils...not flax..but fish oil perhaps....

oh yeah - i use a lot of coconut milk and oil also...

fish oil you say ... :sick

luvinmykidz
05-09-2007, 10:30 PM
I have to use the neutragena Tgel when my scalp gets like that. I hope yours goes away soon!! :hug2

poleidopy
05-09-2007, 10:49 PM
I only wash my hair with ACV & baking soda. Itchy scalp & dreads don't make for a good combination. :no It does the trick for me.

Cindy
05-10-2007, 06:43 AM
I only wash my hair with ACV & baking soda. Itchy scalp & dreads don't make for a good combination. :no It does the trick for me.

What is ACV?

And I want to see the dreads. I can't really tell from your avatar what they look like. Are they long?

I've had itchy scalp for a long long time... :hissyfit

poleidopy
05-10-2007, 07:49 AM
I'll take an updated pic today, they are shoulder-length. ;) ACV= apple cider vinegar.

I've had itchy scalp forever too. When i didn't have dreads, I'd get bad flakes, but once I started using the baking soda & ACV they went away. So I'm not going to stop using it anytime soon. Yuck, I can't imagine dandruff & dreads. The flakes wouldn't come out and it would be so gross!! :sick

Anyway, if you wanna try it -you get a handful of baking soda and either make a paste out of it and rub it into your scalp or dump a bunch on your (dry) head, then wet your head & rub it in. Rub really well, all over. Rinse it well. Then in a big cup mix like 2/3 water and 1/3 ACV and dump it all over your hair. Rinse it out. The smell goes away, I promise. You won't smell like a pickle. Just don't get it in your mouth or eyes. :shifty

cobluegirl
05-10-2007, 04:35 PM
dh swears by the fish oil.....