PDA

View Full Version : Mayonnaise trouble

Mert
05-08-2007, 06:57 PM
Dh and I are trying to find a mayo with no soy or canola oil in it. If you have one that you like, please let me know what it is. Soooo, I've been looking at recipes to make my own, but I realized that they all use raw eggs. Does all mayo have raw egg in it? I don't remember anyone saying don't eat it when I was pregnant. Does anyone make their own without the raw egg? I'd love to have your recipe. :heart I would like to get a copy of Nourishing Traditions. I understand it includes a mayo recipe. Anyone have it or use it? Do you like it? I'd love to have that as well if someone feels comfortable sharing (copyright laws and all). Thanks mommas!!

Herbwifemama
05-08-2007, 07:50 PM
I have it and use it- and I also use another one I got from Full Moon Feast. I will share both, but currently, I'm NAKing. I've been eating it for several months now, and no issues. I keep it in the fridge, and anything I make with it stays in the fridge. I get my eggs from a local farmer whose methods I trust. And then I don't worry anymore.

Mert
05-08-2007, 08:40 PM
Thanks, MessianicMama! I'd love to give it a try whenever you get a chance to post it. No hurry! :ty

Herbwifemama
05-10-2007, 11:12 AM
I can post the NT version, but FMF is in the bedroom with the napping baby.

I think I like the NT version better TBH.

1egg, room temp
1 egg yolk
1t dijon mustard
1.5 T lemon juice
1T whey (just drain some off some yogurt) - optional, but I use it, and I"ll explain why
3/4- 1 C olive oil (I use Mary's Oil Blend, which is equal parts coconut, sesame, and olive oil)
generous pinch sea salt

Mix all the ingredients in a blender except the oil. When blended, drizzle in the oil SLOWLY while running the blender, to emulsify the mayo. Taste it to check the seasoning- add more lemon juice or salt as desired. (without taste adjusting, it makes a very mild mayo- I like mine a bit tangier).

If you added whey, let it sit at room temp for about 7 hours before fridgeration. With whey, it will keep in the fridge for several months and become firmer over time. Without whey, it will keep for about 2 weeks.

I use the whey, because the whey has good bacteria in it, which, when allowed to propagate (when you let it sit out for several hours), will grow and overpopulate any bad bacteria. It also allows it to be kept longer in the fridge.

I'll post the other one when I can (it doesn't use whey).

Joyce
05-21-2007, 06:11 AM
I've been making mayo using this recipe for a few months. I really like it, but didn't know about whey. So, whey is that clear stuff that settles to the top of yogurt? I had some powder whey sitting in my freezer for 2 years and just last week decided it was taking up valuable real estate in there and tossed it. I didn't know what to do with it, and I think DS's little system isn't ready for dairy yet.

Got to go!

Herbwifemama
05-21-2007, 08:46 AM
Yes, whey is the clear stuff that settles on top of the yogurt. It's the liquid that you remove when you make yogurt cheese- it's got the active cultures from the yogurt in it, so it's good for inoculating something with good bacteria. I don't think powdered whey has the active cultures, so I don't think you lost anything by tossing it. :) (Anyway, any powdered milk or egg product has rancid fats in it from the way it was processed, and it harmful to your body.)

Mert
05-21-2007, 04:55 PM
So, MessianicMama, do you make your own cheese, yogurt and such from raw milk? It's something that I'm interested in, but dh is the only one doing dairy at our house right now so I'm not very motivated (he is not interested at all!!) We'll see what happens when either a) I'm not nursing or b) ds is no longer sensitive to dairy. Thanks for the recipe!!

Herbwifemama
05-21-2007, 06:22 PM
I make my own yogurt, but the milk I use is minimally pasteurized, not raw. I haven't ventured into cheesemaking yet, but I hope to soon. :) (Unless you count yogurt cheese, which is incredibly easy to make).

Joyce
06-05-2007, 07:32 AM
Just wondering....Is the clear liquid on top of cottage cheese whey, too?

I looked up how to make homemade yogurt. I can't believe how easy it is! And to think I was paying big bucks for unsweetened, whole milk yogurt. Argh! Well, now I know!