PDA

View Full Version : juicing vs. blending fruits?

GrowingInGrace
05-08-2007, 09:27 AM
Which is better? I have both a juicer and a blender. In the juicer, there is so much waste (pulp). But is there any leftover nutrients in the pulp that you wouldn't be getting if you discard? Or do you throw some of the pulp into the juice too? I remove seeds from apples, but leave the peel on when I juice.

My dd3 doesn't eat much fruits and veggies whole - apple, banana and avocado are ones she usually will eat and maybe a bite of carrot, so I've pulled out my juicer/blender. She also gets a bad diaper rash when she eats tomato based sauces, so I can't even sneak blended veggies in there.

Cindy
05-09-2007, 07:53 PM
Blended whole fruit is better for you, but it is thick and pulpy and (imo) not very drinkable. I do blend fruit for smoothies and I also freeze whole fruit in chunks and put it in the blender to make a "sorbet". My kids eat it instead of ice cream :tu

I don't have a juicer at all.

fourbygrace
05-10-2007, 08:41 PM
The fiber in the fruit is really good for you. The juicer takes that all out.

I don't use my blender to blend fruits, but some day I want at Vitamix blender because ti blends everything to a liquid, no chunks.

Cindy
05-11-2007, 05:10 AM
The fiber in the fruit is really good for you. The juicer takes that all out.

I don't use my blender to blend fruits, but some day I want at Vitamix blender because ti blends everything to a liquid, no chunks.

I have a Vitamix, and I love it!

I still don't care for the "juice" from it, it is too thick. I like whole fruit in smoothies or sorbets much better.

fourbygrace
05-11-2007, 09:03 PM

I still don't care for the "juice" from it, it is too thick. I like whole fruit in smoothies or sorbets much better.

I have never tried it, just going from heresay, so that is good to know. For sorbet, do you just blend the fruit and then freeze it?

GrowingInGrace
05-15-2007, 08:10 AM
Can the pulp be used in other things - like muffins or pancakes or something? Sometimes we like fresh juice, but I hate wasting all the fiber because that's good too.

Cindy
05-15-2007, 08:08 PM

I have never tried it, just going from heresay, so that is good to know. For sorbet, do you just blend the fruit and then freeze it?

No I freeze the fruit then blend it - usually with a little coconut milk.

domesticzookeeper
05-15-2007, 08:24 PM
Can the pulp be used in other things - like muffins or pancakes or something? Sometimes we like fresh juice, but I hate wasting all the fiber because that's good too.

:yes

Apple and carrot pulp are really yummy in meatloaf :yum

GrowingInGrace
05-16-2007, 11:35 AM

:yes

Apple and carrot pulp are really yummy in meatloaf :yum

:yum