PDA

View Full Version : non-dairy sources of calcium?

euromom
05-07-2007, 09:09 PM
I have a friend who's just-turned-one yr old is allergic to milk. Since she cannot give her any dairy at all she is concerned about how to get her dd the right amount of calcium she needs. Any suggestions on what she could feed her dd to get the calcium she needs? I know Brocolii, and most seeds have calcium, but of course she can't give her dd seeds yet. What else has Calcium in it?

malakoa
05-07-2007, 09:27 PM
leafy greens! Spinach, mixed greens (my daughter LOVES them with vinegar and oil) anything green will work, and your body absorbs it better than diary forms of calcium anyway!

cobluegirl
05-08-2007, 09:08 AM
umm...nuts, and green leafy's....

hey mommy
05-08-2007, 09:13 AM
leafy greens! Spinach, mixed greens (my daughter LOVES them with vinegar and oil) anything green will work, and your body absorbs it better than diary forms of calcium anyway!

Unless your kid hates green leafy anything.. Then I guess you just end up w/a sick kid. Right?

euromom
05-08-2007, 11:47 AM
Thanks. I'll pass along the info for the leafy greens to her. :)

What about good sources for fat? Isn't that important also when they are under 2? I believe she is still breastfeeding but not sure how often and for how much longer. I know most kids get the "fat" they need from whole milk. What are other good sources for fat if you are not getting it from whole milk or butter? I don't know why, but Flax Seed comes to mind. Is that correct? :shrug Now that ds is over 2 I can't remember what I use to try and give him when I cut back on his dairy :doh I think I'm having mommy brain or something :giggle

malakoa
05-08-2007, 12:31 PM
my friend has these calcium candies that are chewy and really quite tasty. I will find out what the brand is....

malakoa
05-08-2007, 04:39 PM
the candies are at trader joes and are about $6 a bottle. and tasty.

euromom
05-08-2007, 05:14 PM
But could a one yr old chew them safely?? We don't have a Trader Joes here, just Costco and BJ's

malakoa
05-08-2007, 05:40 PM
But could a one yr old chew them safely?? We don't have a Trader Joes here, just Costco and BJ's

chop them up. i can send some to you if you want to arrange something. :-)

euromom
05-08-2007, 06:59 PM
It's for a friend and her dd, so let me ask her first what she thinks. Thanks for the offer, I will get back to you on it. If anyone knows the actual name then maybe we can see if they sell them somewhere besides Trader Joes too.

JJsMom
05-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Avocados are a good source of fat. And perfect for a 1 yr old, maybe she could try using it like a dip?
Also, we do lots of rice milk. :shrug It has about 30% calcium. :)