PDA

View Full Version : I think we have the pox!!

zak
05-06-2007, 06:26 AM
Reid played with his uber-poxed cousins in Florida THREE weeks ago... and this morning (as I was GOING to get ready for church) I noticed some spots on his head... then back... then chest... I think we've got them! (I think this makes 3 weeks of missing church for colds/illness/pox now!)

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!

Anyone in GA wanna come over for a pox party? PM me!

Any tips for helping a 2 yo cope with the pox? Anything special I should know/do? I'm going to go read in my Smarter Medicine for Healthier Children book... I did read a little in by Breastfeeding Answer Book (because my 4mo niece has them), but R isn't nursing any more.

:mrgreen :mrgreen :mrgreen :mrgreen :mrgreen :mrgreen

MarynMunchkins
05-06-2007, 06:29 AM
You know you're weird for being excited your ds is sick, right? ;)

zak
05-06-2007, 06:40 AM
:yes

;)

luvinmykidz
05-06-2007, 07:37 AM
No one throw the tomatoes at me :duck but I am not so sure that chicken pox parties are a great idea. Usually it is just an illness that children have mildly and become immune but sometimes chicken pox can be serious. I wouldn't want to expose my kids in a big party like that....but of course thats just me ;)

4MKfam
05-06-2007, 11:42 AM
...my 2 cents :)
I had chicken pox in 8th grade. Believe me, if I had decided not to do the varicella vax, I'd be doing everything I could to make sure my kids had it before they hit puberty.
Can chicken pox be serious? Yes. But it's much easier to deal with when you're younger, in my experience, or at least, in my sister's experience, who got it at age 7 and only had a few. I was COVERED and miserable. I actually knew I was coming down with something even before we found spots.
:shifty so I think I understand your excitement.

hiddenhippie6
05-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Well I am ALLLL for a pox party! :giggle We had our family pox party awhile ago though. Hannah was only 5 months old, that was a little rough but I am SO glad it is done. Praying that sweet Reid will be as comfortable as possible. :hug2

klpmommy
05-06-2007, 12:25 PM
...my 2 cents :)
I had chicken pox in 8th grade. Believe me, if I had decided not to do the varicella vax, I'd be doing everything I could to make sure my kids had it before they hit puberty.
Can chicken pox be serious? Yes. But it's much easier to deal with when you're younger, in my experience, or at least, in my sister's experience, who got it at age 7 and only had a few. I was COVERED and miserable. I actually knew I was coming down with something even before we found spots.
:shifty so I think I understand your excitement.

My experience was different. My cousin (around 5 y/o) had them Christmas Day. She was covered in them & even had them on her tongue. She was miserable. I was 16 & had never had them. Two weeks later I got them & I ended up with a *very* mild case. So I do think it is up to individual genetics/immunity, etc to determine how bad they are.

Something funny? DH also got them as a teen. We didn't know each other back then, but I think it is funny that we both avoided it in spite of many exposures as kids & got them as teens.

zak
05-06-2007, 01:45 PM
Well of all 6 girl cousins who have them right now (thanks, girls!), the oldest, a 12 yo was the worst case and the 4 month old has the mildest case. :shrug

I'm just glad to get it young and get it over! :phew

He's still doing great, btw. He's getting more as the day progresses... but still not bothered enough to stop harassing the dogs! :giggle

JJsMom
05-06-2007, 03:50 PM
I would be excited too! :giggle

Sorry, OT: When I read your subject line, I thought "chicken or small?" :laughtears (Anyone remember that Friend's episode?)

Havilah
05-06-2007, 05:39 PM
Hmmmm... :think :shifty

If James was an only I'd be there tomorrow! Not sure I'm up for sick baby right now, though.

cheri
05-06-2007, 05:50 PM
I've heard that there have been some outbreaks in my city, but I haven't run into anyone personally who has them...

I'd sooo be at your house if we lived closer.

Soliloquy
05-06-2007, 05:54 PM
I had them when I was 4 and it was a cake walk. :shrug

What age guarantees lifelong immunity? Don't you have to be over 18 months? I'd love for Gracie and Simon to get them, but we are nowhere near GA.

3PeasInAPod
05-06-2007, 07:11 PM
Angela, how did Reid's cousins get them? Are they non-vaxed? Just wondering..it seems there are not that many kids anymore w/it & if they have it, they've been vaxed already..
If I lived in GA, I'd totally be there.

milkmommy
05-06-2007, 07:34 PM
:giggle to the OP.
Personally and this is just my personal belief but I have my reasons for it. I will not and do not immunize for chicken pox I also will not delibertly expose my child to it. Its just me though. I feel the same with most any "common" childhood illiness. I also wont lock my child up and post quarteen signs around in fear.

Deanna

milkmommy
05-06-2007, 07:38 PM
What age guarantees lifelong immunity? Don't you have to be over 18 months? I'd love for Gracie and Simon to get them, but we are nowhere near GA.

I'd be intrested in knowing. I got a fairly bad case of them when I was 9 months and now I get shingles almost yearly. :(.

Deanna

hink4687
05-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Angela-

If Zac wasn't home for the next 5 days I would so totally jump on a plane tomorrow!!! Do you think R can lick on a lollipop and then mail it to Cooper?? :giggle

zak
05-07-2007, 04:27 AM
Angela, how did Reid's cousins get them? Are they non-vaxed? Just wondering...

None of the cousins are vaxxed (hubby's family is uber-crunchy, where do you think I get it from :lol ). I'm not sure how it got passed to Cousin "A" to begin with tho - she is in public school (her teacher has never had them!). We were home on vacation and we all thought "A" had had them (oldest BIL's daughter - had been "crusty" for 1-2 weeks) but no one else had them. The family we were staying with (other BIL/SIL) had no signs when we got there Sunday... Tuesday "K" had a fever and was feeling bad... Wednesday morning she woke up poxed. SO.... not like we could avoid it - plus we want him to get it now - rather than later. :) So we stayed there. After "K" her three sisters got it and one more cousin then Reid.

If "A" got it at school (she's in 2nd grade), is it likely it came from a vaxxed child (at that age)? Now you've got me wondering....

If Zac wasn't home for the next 5 days I would so totally jump on a plane tomorrow!!! Do you think R can lick on a lollipop and then mail it to Cooper??

I was actually going to call you to see if you wanted to come down on Wednesday for a couple of days... (not for the pox - I was thinking this before the pox, but for a different reason). ;)

Novella
05-07-2007, 04:43 AM
I am with Deanna on this one- esp. since we have 2 now. I won't ever vax Joshua for it but I don't know that I would seek it.

I hope your LO's heal quickly and comfortably! Yeah for life-long immunity! :mrgreen

mellymommy
05-07-2007, 07:38 AM
Oh, my gosh, I want to get in the car and drive the 10 hours to your house NOW!!

When did R wean?

hink4687
05-07-2007, 07:40 AM
I was actually going to call you to see if you wanted to come down on Wednesday for a couple of days... (not for the pox - I was thinking this before the pox, but for a different reason). ;)

oh man...I was just about to go check flights and I just remembered I have my cousins's wedding shower on Saturday that I'm a host for. So I have a bunch of stuff I have to do to get ready for it. Bummer..

zak
05-07-2007, 07:41 AM
When did R wean?

He stopped asking about 2-3 weeks ago. He hasn't asked since. It was a really slow process... he just cut himself back and back and back to not asking.

Come on down! We have an entire upstairs we don't use! ;)

oh man...I was just about to go check flights and I just remembered I have my cousins's wedding shower on Saturday that I'm a host for. So I have a bunch of stuff I have to do to get ready for it. Bummer..

Stinky! :(