PDA

View Full Version : Home Defense Max by Ortho

illinoismommy
05-04-2007, 09:06 PM
My husband wants to use this. I am leery because it sounds like poison sprayed all around the house where my baby will soon be crawling, and where we are a lot. Thoughts?

cobluegirl
05-04-2007, 09:10 PM
what is it for? what is in it?

illinoismommy
05-04-2007, 09:16 PM
For keeping bugs out, you spray it around the foundation, I guess on the outside not the inside but still ... I don't know, I am suspicious of this kind of stuff

active ingredient: 0.115% Bifenthrin

NO clue what that is.....

illinoismommy
05-04-2007, 09:17 PM
"Harmful if absorbed through the skin. Avoid contact with skin, eyes or clothing."

illinoismommy
05-04-2007, 09:28 PM
* One application provides season long control
* Kills over 50 types of insects on contact
* Can be used on lawns, ornamentals, shrubs, vegetables and around the home foundation

Now really.... after rain, what kind of creepy poison sticks around for season long control??? Does anyone else get nervous when they are told that someone's going to come and spray unnatural stuff like this? My husband grew up in a house where his dad sterilized the driveway with a certain spray (made it so that NOTHING could grow there), sprayed weed and feed on the lawn, sprayed bug killer around the foundation, "bombed" the house twice a year which means cloud it with sometihng that kills all the bugs for 3 months (DH wants to do this too and it scares me, I mean you set this bomb thing off in your living room!!!!), etc. My family didn't do any of this stuff.....

cobluegirl
05-04-2007, 10:12 PM
yeah I wouldn't like it...I would think that their might be something different to use...however I guess it it better outside than in..I hate bugs...we had ants at our last place..and we had to use some diazanon...granules stuff....

mommylove
05-05-2007, 10:29 AM
I have NO experience with this, but could you contact one of those "environmentally safe" pest control companies? (in quotes because I don't know how accurate that statement is) After questioning them & getting a feel for the safety, perhaps you could compromise with DH & agree to give them a try, with the goal of educating yourself so you can treat any recurring problems yourself down the road? I dunno -- it's a stretch.

Have you done a google search to find safe alternatives to ridding your property of whatever pest that's a problem?

hink4687
05-05-2007, 09:12 PM
We use an actual pest control company. I know its still chemicals but there is no danger of touching it, etc so they claim its safe. Back in Oklahoma we never sprayed because the bugs just weren't that bad but we now live in the middle of a forest (it actually feels like a rainforest right now!) and the creatures are just out of control. So I had to do something. :shifty

illinoismommy
05-06-2007, 09:33 AM
well wouldn't you know yesterday I'm sitting there with the kids and my father in law shows up with this stuff to spray our foundation.... so, its done ....