PDA

View Full Version : Delaying AF

Marrae
05-01-2007, 03:35 PM
My dd (16) has about 2 days at the beginning of AF when she is more or less incapacitated, both physically and emotionally.

She has not been to the dr about this because
1. I never got around to making an appointment. :blush :bag
2. Until very recently, she has been very resistant to the idea because she doesn't really want to talk about it.
3. I have a feeling that all he/she will do is prescribe bcp. :no2

Anyway, she has now realised that AF will arrive right at the beginning of her exams. Is there anything we can do to delay AF or to help her in any way? The only thing is that this is in two weeks time. :banghead

godsgracegiven
05-02-2007, 11:11 AM
:heart AF has her way of showing at the wrong time. :/ I don't really know other than taking somthing for the pain.

cobluegirl
05-02-2007, 03:59 PM
birth control pills would delay it but that is the only thing I can think of that does that. If her pms is that harsh her hormone levels are likely not ballanced. wild yam cream and evening primerose oil pills might help.
Allison would have better info on this..I am just guessing.

allisonintx
05-02-2007, 04:07 PM
OCP's (oral contraceptive pills) can delay a period, but may have other undesirable side effects such as increased emotional symptoms.

Can you be more specific about how she feels and what her complaints are?

mybodymyself
05-02-2007, 04:12 PM
Ruth,

:popcorn

Thank you.

Linnis
05-02-2007, 07:56 PM
Evening Primrose oil. I had horrible periods as a teen and took 1 gelcap once a day everyday and during my period, took 2 every 4 hours at the advice of my Naturopath. Seriously the greatest stuff it not only helps with the cramps but with the bleeding.

She might also be given a script for Anaprox, which is now sold OTC as Aleve. It's a anti-inflammatory which helps with cramps.

The only thing which would delay her period would be birth control pills and those won't work right away, she'd need to take a whole month, then skip the sugar pills and take the next pack right away and that does not always suppress periods for everyone. My mom claims she felt just as horrible, I have not tried it.

Has she tried something like Midol for her other PMS symptoms?

I used Extra Strength Midol and EPO to get through my senior exams. :/

Marrae
05-03-2007, 02:58 AM
Can you be more specific about how she feels and what her complaints are?

She feels nauseated and has diarrhea. She has severe cramps, backache and pain down her legs to the knees. She would spend the first two days as a sobbing, shivering wreck if I did not 'jolly' her along. :(

She used to take evening primrose oil because my hairdresser told me it made teenagers easier to live with. :lol Nothing like getting advice from the professionals. :lol Should start that again.

She takes paracetamol (tylenol) and ibuprofen but it does not do much. She sometimes takes feminax (co-codamol) instead but it tends to make her a bit loopy which is no use for exams. :( I can't take codeine either.

Any help / advice would be very welcome. Thanks!

stbmomof1plus2
05-03-2007, 12:40 PM
Those seem like very severe symptoms. She might need to be checked for fibroids. My sister used to have horrible periods like that and she does have tons of fibriods. I don't have a lot of info though so I am speaking second hand and out of some ignorance.

Linnis
05-04-2007, 07:01 PM
EPO is the BEST thing for really bad periods. I used to get the leg cramps, fever, diarrhea, horrible stomach pain, heavy bleeding for 5+ days... :/

Herbwifemama
05-04-2007, 07:31 PM
I have cramps down to my knees too- not for two whole days- generally just for one, several hours- but RRL tea really helps mine- I know most people think of it for pgcy, but to me, it's always been an AF drink- extra cal/mag (I can't believe I suggested that and not Allison! :)) can also help (I take mine in the form of very dark chocolate ;)). She should start drinking the tea now- a cup a day, two is better. It might make them manageable.

As for delaying... http://www. sisterzeus.com/delaying_menstruation.html This website MIGHT be useful, but, eh?

Can she talk to her teachers, and see if they could be willing to have her take the tests early or later? I had a great prof in college who did that for me when I had some personal issues I was dealing with.

Marrae
05-05-2007, 03:02 AM
Thank you all! Allison gave me the name of something to try and the dr presribed it no problem. So we should be okay. We will try some of the other suggestions too.

Can she talk to her teachers, and see if they could be willing to have her take the tests early or later? I had a great prof in college who did that for me when I had some personal issues I was dealing with.

:no2 They would not countenance anything like this at all. These are the last stage exams before university and are held at a set time and date nationwide. We are actually missing my niece's wedding because there is an exam that particular day! :mad Oh well! Hopefully she will be fine.

Oh and the dr wants her in to do blood tests / counts as she bleeds so heavily and has bad nosebleeds too.