PDA

View Full Version : Reiki- not good... because?

lavendermama
04-28-2007, 11:21 PM
The only thing so far we've come across that we are deeply against is Reiki - but that's another thread

This was posted in the EFT thread. Can someone tell me the beliefs behind Reiki? I thought it was a form of massage. . . :scratch I haven't tried it, but one of the doulas I went through doula training with was a massage therapist and a Reiki practitioner.

Keysmum
04-28-2007, 11:46 PM
That was me :)

After I wrote that I did a search on GMC to see if there had been any other threads on Reiki and found this one http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=93070.0 there are some great points in the thread.

Here is a link that has a good description of Reiki (it's a pro-Reiki site so not biased)

http://www.reiki.org/FAQ/WhatIsReiki.html

here's a quote from the page: Reiki is a simple, natural and safe method of spiritual healing and self-improvement that everyone can use.

When something claims to be spiritual healing my first question is "where does the spiritual power comes from?" .... then with another statement on their page:

While Reiki is spiritual in nature, it is not a religion. It has no dogma, and there is nothing you must believe in order to learn and use Reiki. In fact, Reiki is not dependent on belief at all and will work whether you believe in it or not. Because Reiki comes from God, many people find that using Reiki puts them more in touch with the experience of their religion rather than having only an intellectual concept of it.

If the power comes from a spiritual source and can be used by anyone with any belief system then where exactly is the power coming from. There are only two sources of power, one from God and one from Satan.

I believe Reiki is Satan's take off of Christianity's 'Laying on hands'. So my personal belief is that any healing from Reiki comes from Satan and therefore is opening yourself up to dangerous demonic sources. If someone claims to be a 'Christian Reiki practitioner' then I would challenge them to re-look at their beliefs and see that maybe it's a gift of healing they have received from God. The origins of Reiki are VERY scary, it started through a man called Mikao Usui who depending on which website you look at was either a Christian minister or a Buddhist monk - but it seems he took a bit of everything and then went to the top of a mountain and had some sort of weird revelation and came down 21 days later with the gift of healing (I read a big biography about him and the book made me shudder and I discerned it wasn't of God).

Anyway if you were looking to use it all I would say is looking into it deeply, pray about it and let God lead you. That is what I do with everything I am looking at trying :)

Keysmum
04-28-2007, 11:58 PM
Interesting, in my searching I came across this website, it might provide a 'different' point of view for you to also weigh up.

http://www.christianreiki.org/

Personally I wouldn't be calling it Reiki, but then it seems they use Reiki practices in the healing.

There was also this comment on their FAQ's which I think is highly debatable:

Q. How do we know that Reiki comes from God? I've heard some people say Reiki comes from Satan. How can I know the truth?

A. Our understanding about Satan comes from the Bible. No where in the Bible do we find an instance where Satan healed someone. Satan tempts people to sin but Satan does not heal people. Furthermore, in Luke 6:44, Jesus says, "Each tree is recognized by its own fruit." Which is to say that if something is beneficial and helps people, and those results are long lasting such as the healing people receive from Reiki, then it must be good and come from God.

I have known people involved in witchcraft who have had 'healing' through spells etc, so I do believe Satan has the power to heal ... the bible talks about him copying things that God does but without the purity of it.

Anyway else have an issue with their explanation of this??