PDA

View Full Version : How do you organize your kid's stuff?

gracieannsmom
04-28-2007, 08:18 PM
My MIL buys dd1 SO many things I don't know what to do with them. I thought I had it all under control but I'm starting to think I was wrong. I'm having trouble with the hair ties, barretts, headbands and jewelry. She has some regular hair ties but then there's some that have big ribbons sticking off of them and other "bling bling" that makes them big and bulky. She has so many random hair things I don't know how to organize them so we can find what we want and so they won't all get tangled up. Then, she has hair things for her Barbies and Little Ponies and other dolls and UGH!!! There's hair stuff everywhere and I need to get it under control before the baby gets mobile and starts putting them all in her mouth! Help!!

MotherSong
04-28-2007, 08:43 PM
I am not good at keeping our stuff orgranized at all. But my mom did a pretty good job when we were kids.

Barrettes can be clipped to a wide ribbon so you can see them all at once and keep them from getting tangled.

Necklaces are easy to access when they're hanging up. Some tall jewelry boxes have hangers. Or, for cheap, you can use tiny metal pegs on a strip of wood (or even a key-hanging thing).

Rubber bands fit around a tube. Sometimes I just put them in baggies.

The best advice of all, from the FlyLady I think, is to get rid of what you're not using. Sort and pitch--or, if it's too sentimental, then put into storage somewhere for now. I think it's easier to get rid of things if you can give them to someone who appreciates them--so maybe take some extra ribbons and hair "bling" to church or give to a friend.

Anyway...take my advice with a grain of salt because ... if you were to see how disorganized our house is, you'd laugh!!

Love,
MotherSong

gracieannsmom
04-29-2007, 05:56 PM
Mothersong, I think those are some great suggestions. I know I need to get rid of some of the hair stuff, there's just WAY too much and MIL keeps buying more! I think I'm going to try all of your advice, it is all practical and sounds like it'll do the trick! Thanks!

Mamatoto
04-29-2007, 05:59 PM
You can wrap some material around a roll of paper towels, tie the material with pretty ribbon and have a great place to put the hair bands. Then you can also put some rubber bands around the roll and clip the barrettes to them.

We have a pretty wooden box from Target with four drawers to put all dd's little barrettes and scrunchies in. Baskets work well, too.

jghomeschooler
04-30-2007, 01:06 PM
I'd suggest having dd pick a hair "bling" to give away each time grandma buys her a new one. Just explain you don't have room to keep them ALL, but that since she has a nice new one she could give one she doesn't like much any more to someone who doesn't have any. :heart

gracieannsmom
05-01-2007, 06:05 AM
These are all great ideas ladies! Thank you! I'm implementing the "giving one away" idea for dd's dolls too...she has so many that they overflow from the basket (yes, she is very blessed)