PDA

View Full Version : techie question, kinda weird, registry key stuff....

SouthPaw
04-21-2007, 07:29 PM
Ok, here's what I need!

I have 2 hard drives. One has my old OS installed, however it is not the one I use anymore. New OS is on the other hard drive and it is the one that loads up.

I can't run my program (adobe photoshop elemenets) on my new OS because it is missing the registry key that tells it I have a real copy (it has the serial number)

So, how do I copy the registry key from my old OS to my new one? Is that possible? i can find out what it is somewhere online i'm sure, but is there a way to access that registry info? If I run regedit it of course just opens up the one on this hard drive... urrrgghhh!

Does this make sense at all? :shifty I'm really not very tech-y......

SouthPaw
04-21-2007, 07:32 PM
ok i just realized all i have to do is find the serial number on my old registry key and reinstall since i have the disk but lost the key. so i just need to access the other OS's registry..........

Hermana Linda
04-24-2007, 08:18 PM
Ok, so can you access the Windows part of the old OS? And what is the old OS? I gather it's an old version of Windows?

Hermana Linda
04-24-2007, 08:22 PM
:think Actually, I'm not sure this is possible. It might be easier to find the key. What happened to it?

SouthPaw
04-24-2007, 09:56 PM
ugh, i think i might just upgrade to the newer version anyway, sometime here. i have it on 30 day trial and i think i like it better. i don't remember where the serial number is! i had organized everything into one CD case but i might have accidentally trashed the old sleeve w/ the sticker on it. bleh.

Hermana Linda
04-25-2007, 02:03 PM
The Techie says that you would have to boot up the old OS. I guess that would be possible, albeit rather a hassle, by unplugging the new hardrive, right? You'd also have to set the old hardrive to master, so it would require messing with the jumpers. But it's possible, I guess.