PDA

View Full Version : Question about planting daffodils/tulips/hyacinths

Jenjardin
04-21-2007, 08:12 AM
We got some of the above plants from Walmart yesterday, and DH says that we have to wait until fall to plant them, because that's when you're supposed to plant spring bulbs. But these are already plants, not just bulbs. And they're for sale NOW. So is it okay to plant them now?

canadiyank
04-25-2007, 11:19 AM
Hmmm....I'm not sure. I planted some tulips that were turning into plants this year and they just died. :/ I have no idea if they'll come up next year - likely not since they need the leaves to make new bulbs for next year. :think How far up are they poking? I'd stick them in the ground and see what happens.

marathonmom
04-25-2007, 01:42 PM
We got some of the above plants from Walmart yesterday, and DH says that we have to wait until fall to plant them, because that's when you're supposed to plant spring bulbs. But these are already plants, not just bulbs. And they're for sale NOW. So is it okay to plant them now?

I guess my question is - if they aren't supposed to be planted now, why is Walmart selling them now?
I'm a total ignoramus when it comes to plants, so I hope someone else responds.

milkmommy
04-25-2007, 01:46 PM

I guess my question is - if they aren't supposed to be planted now, why is Walmart selling them now?

Cause most nurseries that aren't JUST nurseries sell plants cause people buy them. :shrug They do not concern themselfs with if they will surive once they leave there store. Like the Walmart here sells lots of these but they will NOT surive its too hot here they will be dead and rotted by the end of the week :shifty. If possible stick to local native plant nurseries whos both passion and bussiness sense includes keepig there customers.
As for when to plant I'd really have to ask DH hes the garden expert. :)

Deanna

canadiyank
04-25-2007, 01:48 PM

My guess is they are leftovers, that's why they're already growing in the bag.

milkmommy
04-25-2007, 01:50 PM
Oh and this might help you
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:aHDTzRDYWBsJ:www.aginfo.psu.edu/News/november00/bulb.html+Season+for+planting+bulbs+in+Pennsylvani a&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

Deanna

mom2threegirls
04-25-2007, 03:46 PM
Long answer: They are selling them now because people that didn't plant bulbs in the fall when you are supposed to plant them still want the beautiful flowers in the spring when they are coming up all over the place. They cost a LOT more to buy already blooming but it's fine to plant them. The hyacinths and daffodills should come up no problem next year (as long as they work in your climate). Tulips are pickier and are really *supposed* to be lifted (dug up, stored and kept dry) from the ground and then planted again in the fall to be at their best, but they often will bloom for several years without lifting them, they just get a bit smaller each year and then eventually stop coming up. I generally plant new tulips each fall, but my hyacinths and daffodills naturalize and get bigger and spread each year. Let me know if you have any more questions about your bulbs!

Short answer: yes, it is ok to plant them now! (just realize the tulips might not necessarily bloom or be as big as they are now)

:smile

FaithHopeLove
04-25-2007, 04:03 PM
Seconding mom2threegirls -- if these are planted bulbs, not just coming up in the bag, then you can go ahead and plant them. You might want to till in some bulb food after they are done blooming, but be sure to leave the leaves until they are brown and fall off on their own (that is how the bulbs replenish their energy after they are done blooming so that they will come up next year on their own).

If you live in a warm climate, you'll have to dig up all of the bulbs after the leaves have fallen off, keep them in a cool, dry place (I had to roll mine in a powder that kept them from rotting and I found old nylons to be a good thing to store them in) and then refrigerate them six to eight weeks before planting again in the late Fall, in a refrigerator that does not have pears or apples in it (pears and apples emit a gas that prevents spring bulbs from germinating). If you live in a climate with an actual winter season, you can leave them in the ground and they will come up again. You usually have to dig them up and separate them and spread them out every few years or so.

HTH!

Jenjardin
04-25-2007, 04:35 PM
Thanks for all you responses. The girls went ahead and planted them yesterday; they were having so much fun that I didn't stress out about it, but it sounds like it will work out anyway. They were already plants in little pots, and cost less than a dollar apiece.

That was my argument to DH when he said we had to wait. Can't he see that I have a need for instant gratification? :giggle

My guess is they are leftovers, that's why they're already growing in the bag.

Thanks for reminding me; my mom gave me a bag of spring bulbs last spring, and they're still in the bag and growing. :doh I actually brought them with me when I moved! I guess I should get them into the ground this time around.

Oh and this might help you
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:aHDTzRDYWBsJ:www.aginfo.psu.edu/News/november00/bulb.html+Season+for+planting+bulbs+in+Pennsylvani a&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

Deanna

Thanks Deanna! I bookmarked that page so I have an idea of what to plant this fall.

If you live in a warm climate, you'll have to dig up all of the bulbs after the leaves have fallen off, keep them in a cool, dry place (I had to roll mine in a powder that kept them from rotting and I found old nylons to be a good thing to store them in) and then refrigerate them six to eight weeks before planting again in the late Fall, in a refrigerator that does not have pears or apples in it (pears and apples emit a gas that prevents spring bulbs from germinating). If you live in a climate with an actual winter season, you can leave them in the ground and they will come up again. You usually have to dig them up and separate them and spread them out every few years or so.

Good thing we have cold winters here because we always have apple and pears in our fridge.

SueQ
04-30-2007, 12:41 AM
I planted some in the spring and they came up the following spring. :shrug I planted some in the fall and they came up the following spring. I don't think it matters when you plant, they just will not bloom that year.