PDA

View Full Version : I need organic gardening tips!

Singingmom
04-20-2007, 01:58 PM
My neighbor tells me she uses Seven so tomato worms won't destroy her tomatoes. I'm not using that, so I'm hoping there's something natural I can do to keep some of the bugs and worms away. Are there any strong smelling herbs I should plant that repel pests? What tips do you have for me? Thanks!

MaiMama
04-21-2007, 01:52 PM
:shrug
you might try asking on the forum on organicgardening.com
hth

Singingmom
04-21-2007, 04:07 PM
Thanks! I did some googling last night and found out oregano repels quite a few pests, so I planted some today.

MaiMama
04-21-2007, 04:11 PM
that sounds yummy! :yum glad you figured something out.

Mommyo6
04-26-2007, 04:16 PM
I planted mint (in pots so it would not take over) around my garden beds last year and it really helped.

Singingmom
04-26-2007, 05:47 PM
Mint in pots is a great idea! :tu

SueQ
04-30-2007, 12:38 AM
I'll have to look for the recipes but my mom used a recipe with diluted Basic H to repel bugs. I used something else last year but forget what was in it. I'll try to remember to look in the AM

Dove*
06-07-2007, 08:10 AM
Also, basil is a companion plant to tomatoes. They do really well next to each other and make great dishes when the harvest comes in! As for tomato worms, those are easy to deal with. You just have to pick them off. They are gross and kind of beautiful at the same time. And if you get infested with bugs ( I did once this year already) just be diligent at spaying them off with a garden hose a couple of times a day for a few days and they should leave. I've got 4 tomato plants and already have 34 tomatoes on them! I'm so excited!

Singingmom
06-07-2007, 09:58 AM
Also, basil is a companion plant to tomatoes. They do really well next to each other and make great dishes when the harvest comes in! As for tomato worms, those are easy to deal with. You just have to pick them off. They are gross and kind of beautiful at the same time. And if you get infested with bugs ( I did once this year already) just be diligent at spaying them off with a garden hose a couple of times a day for a few days and they should leave. I've got 4 tomato plants and already have 34 tomatoes on them! I'm so excited!

I'm getting tiny red bugs that look like red aphids to me on the underside of the leaves. Is that the kind of bug you mean? I'm glad for the advice. :)

Dove*
06-07-2007, 08:32 PM
To be honest, I am horrible with details. I can't remember what color of bug it was, except that they quickly started killing my plants. And as soon as I started spraying them with water, my plants came back quickly. I hope it works for you.

Singingmom
06-07-2007, 08:41 PM
That's great that just water works. Makes it seem even sillier to shake or spray poison on your veggies!

Dove*
06-10-2007, 07:27 PM
No Kidding! :yes