PDA

View Full Version : My sewing projects for today

klpmommy
04-19-2007, 05:22 PM
When I am angry I clean. When I worry I craft. So today I did a lot of crafting (see post in P&P if you want to know more). I had planned on making something for E & went to WalMart for other things as well as material this morning before even finding out that dh was so sick. So I was very glad to have a project to work on today.

Anyway, the plan was to make a dress for E, but if I make something for E, P really wants me to make something for him, too. So I made him shorts. He got to pick out his material & I was finally able to stear him in the direction of something that was boyish looking. He likes bright colors typically & so he kept picking out really girly things- dh would have killed me had I made him something from the material he kept picking! But P likes whales so this worked.

I had a hard time. I don't use patterns and this is my first attempt at shorts/pants. I learned a lot of what to do and NOT do the next time. The t-shirt is so long you can barely see the shorts anyway.

This is the dress I made for E. I helped her pick out material, too. She was much easier, but was disappointed we couldn't find sharks or dinosaurs at the store. (Someone pm'ed me some ebay links which are great! But I wanted my first attempt at this to be cheaper.) The top is just a t-shirt. I made the skirt, attached it to the t-shirt & then embellished it with a pocket & some buttons.

A close up of the pocket & buttons...I hope it doesn't look funny. I intentionally made the pocket unsymmetrical.

I have some butterfly material left over so I am thinking about making her a headband, but then again, maybe I will save the material so that if this baby is a girl she & E can match. :think

And since I made a pocket on E's shirt, P *had* to have one, too. I didn't have much material left for his, but this is what ended up. You can see how long the shirt is, too! I probably should have bought the smaller size, but he really is in-between sizes right now.

They love their new outfits! I promised them they could wear them again tomorrow. And E is excited that next summer she will get the whale shorts!

Edited to remove pics of my kids.

Marzipan
04-19-2007, 07:27 PM
Cute (bot the children and the clothes)!

Firebird Rising
04-19-2007, 07:30 PM
nak.

love it

:clap

Littledisciples
04-19-2007, 07:36 PM
Wow great job with no pattern. I so could barely do it with a pattern let alone with out. Looks Great. My kids love it when I make something too. Very cool.

Eowyn
04-19-2007, 10:57 PM
They are SO cute! :heart

klpmommy
04-20-2007, 04:59 AM
Wow great job with no pattern. I so could barely do it with a pattern let alone with out. Looks Great. My kids love it when I make something too. Very cool.

Without your warning on how tough pants are on another thread I would have never been able to do these! Since I was forewarned that they would be tricky it helped a lot. I only missewed them four or five times trying to figure out how to sew them together once they were cut out. Thank goodness for basting stitches!

NayneeNoo
04-20-2007, 07:36 AM
Very cute!

joystrength
04-20-2007, 07:44 AM
:yes :yes Yes indeedy, those threads are neat-y!

I bet your kiddos think so, too. They LOOK like they're in love with their new duds!

Very nice job, mama!

I'm SO beginning to think that I'd like a VERY BASIC sewing machine for my next gift occasion (or maybe the next three combined).

You're inspirational ... and we're praying for your husband. :hug2