PDA

View Full Version : Would you keep bees?

Lady TS
04-09-2007, 05:33 AM
Dh has been wanting to get bees for a long time and I have been saying :no. I am afraid of bees :shifty. As far as I know, though, no one in our family is allergic to them.

So in light of the mysterious bee vanishings, I am very seriously considering keeping bees. I mean, if we don't have bees, we don't eat, kwim? We have about 30 acres and I was thinking if we put the hive on a far corner from the house it might be ok. It's lots of fields all around our property, so it wouldn't be affecting any neighbors like we were putting a hive on their yard, lol.

If we do this, I'd feel we were doing our part in helping out the bee situation. And if we're going to get an organic farm established, having a hive of bees might help us a lot.

And I think dh would be doing the dealings with the bees. I'm not ready to do that. We have an acquaintance of dh's parents that came and removed some bees that had taken up residence in our tree a few years ago and he said he'd give us a hive and bees at little or no cost, so they are readily available to us...

:think

kklibrarian
04-09-2007, 10:24 AM
I'd really like to keep bees at some point. It's the sort of hobby that appeals to DH's gentle and methodical nature, and I love all of the advantages that bee keeping offers for gardening and just the synchronicity with nature that goes along with keeping bees.

Blessings,
Kelly

Iarwain
04-09-2007, 10:31 AM
I love the idea of it, but I'm terrified of bees. The thought of a source of fresh raw honey is pretty appealing, though. :yum

mamaKristin
04-09-2007, 10:32 AM
nope, but I'm deathly allergic. ;) I guess that influences my decision a bit! :giggle

besides that, it would be neat!

Eowyn
04-09-2007, 03:00 PM
That would be seriously cool.

steffanie3
04-10-2007, 07:20 AM
I would do it if DH would take care of them :giggle I would also love to have the raw honey and wax and help with promoting healthy places for bees to live :)

allisonintx
04-10-2007, 07:47 AM
My grandfather kept bees and I always thought it was so cool. One day, his bee boxes were stolen though, and that was the end of it :(

mama2three
04-10-2007, 07:51 AM
Keeping bees is something I would love to do too. Why don't you try it, it is not like you have to sign a lifetime commitment to them? :)