PDA

View Full Version : someone else's house!

allisonintx
04-07-2007, 02:01 PM
I feel like I'm looking at someone else's house!

My husband finally consented to changing our house around and it is really a big job for all of us. When we got all the furniture out of the family room he kept commenting about how dirty the walls were and how we really should paint. He will never paint, but he will talk about it forever. Anyway, I realized that it was my golden opportunity to actually do it. He just wants the "rearranging" DONE and to heck with the order of operations ;) Anyway, last Wednesday, I went and actually bought the paint (Behr 700D-4 Brown Teepee) and painted the room (no small feat, we have 15ft ceilings in there) It is the first time we have had a color in a living space even though I have always painted my offices deep tones. Stephen had said that he thought white was best for living spaces and since he rarely says anything about decor I always just thought I'd bow to his preference. Well, it turns out that he LOVES the brown, and doesn't remember ever saying that about white (though I'm sure it is because his mother never had anything but white walls anywhere in her world, and still doesn't) I used satin paint so it will be easier to clean, and it is just so warm! I almost want to paint the entire house (we have an open floorplan)

I also rolled up the rug (12x15) and shampooed the carpets which were terrifying (thus the rug in the first place) and since it's Olefin (sp?) it can be bleached, which I had forgotten! I used the steam cleaner that we actually own, and hot bleach water, and the carpet looks amazing (though not new...hey, four children have been playing in there for three years!)

I just feel like I'm in someone else's home, because it feels so clean and lovely. I can hardly wait to get the furniture all in. We're putting all our desks and computers in there, along with some table space for homeschooling and family projects.

frenetic_turtle
04-07-2007, 02:08 PM
:tu Enjoy!!

2sunshines
04-07-2007, 02:11 PM
Cool! :tu

Are you going to post pics??? It sounds really nice.

mamaKristin
04-07-2007, 02:12 PM
that is great!

so...pics??

Singingmom
04-07-2007, 02:18 PM
It sounds wonderful! :rockon

allisonintx
04-07-2007, 03:14 PM
When we get everything in, I'll post pictures.

2TMama
04-07-2007, 06:21 PM
sounds like quite an undertaking.....aren't you exhausted? :phew How exciting....a fresh start for spring :yes

allisonintx
04-07-2007, 07:39 PM
Yes.

Oh, I didn't think about that. That would be good.

BHope
04-07-2007, 08:00 PM
Well I'm waiting for pictures!

The brown walls sound so great. We had chair railing around the last house we were living in and I painted the bottom half of that wall brown. I LOVED it. I wanted to do it again here, but we went in another direction.

tempus vernum
04-07-2007, 09:29 PM
We have that same thing going on and it feels SO good. DH painted our living room, bathroom and playroom brown :giggle well,really tan. And replaced the carpeting in living room and playroom. I totally feel like it's a new place :tu

Enjoy :hug

freshwaterfish
04-07-2007, 09:51 PM
:popcorn I looooove brown! :tu Good choice... Can't wait for pics... :giggle

heidisue
04-07-2007, 10:00 PM
sounds cool. i've been spring cleaning too. it wipes me out but makes home feel so much more welcoming.

Drew
04-09-2007, 05:33 AM
:tu It really is amazing what a fresh coat of paint can do.