PDA

View Full Version : We need a new vacuum - recommendations?

julbug
04-06-2007, 05:42 PM
Our vacuum has not been working well for quite some time and DH was checking and saw a crack in the part that is supposed to maintain suction, a rather large crack. That explains a lot.

We really don't have the money for a new expense right now but we need to get something reliable as soon as humanly possible. What do you recommend? What do you like or not like about yours? DH really wants something bagless. His co-worker was raving about her Dyson but we can't afford a $500 vacuum. Is there something else decent out there?

allisonintx
04-06-2007, 05:47 PM
Oreck is my favorite. It's a little dear, but there are always discounts, and although Dyson says that vacuums with bags lose suction, but I have not found that to be true, and I've had mine for 5 years, and my mom has had hers for 10.

RealLifeMama
04-06-2007, 06:51 PM
We borrowed a friend's dyson to try out before we bought one, and we also borrowed a Sears Kenmore one, and we chose the Sears one. The only thing that bugs me about my Sears Kenmore one is that the tools/wand are not in the handle, which I was used to with my old vacuum. We used to have an old Fantom, from back when Mr. Dyson was designing their vacuums, so the tools and wand were in the handle just like they are in the Dyson.
Those new Electoluxes (spelling?) look really nice.

AmyDoll
04-06-2007, 07:02 PM
:tu I have an Electrolux Oxygen :) I love it! It's RED. It's got lots of suction. It has on board tools (my complaint about the Oreck - is the tool situation) It's FAB for Hardwood. It's an 8lb Canister (I think it's 8 lbs - I can hold it w/one hand) It has a HEPA filter. It has bags - I like bags - it doesn't lose suction :scratch I don't even know what that means. I don't want to see my dirt. We have all hardwood floors.