PDA

View Full Version : So about "green" cleaners....

illinoismommy
04-05-2007, 02:15 PM
What is the green version of "Shout" spray.... you know for stained clothes?

Also general cleaners.... what do you recommend? I've heard of vinegar... but seriously vinegar makes me want to puke with its smell :shifty .........

LadybugSam
04-05-2007, 02:49 PM
well just about anything that needs scrubbing can be done with baking soda. Its very gentle and cleans pretty well.

as far as greener cleaners (hehe that rhymes) i like the mothod brand from target. I also have this multipurpose cleaner called "holy cow" its pink and its absolutely awesome. I use it for counters and tables and toys and couches and carpets. Its awesome.

Blue Aurora
04-05-2007, 03:48 PM
Melaleuca whole laundry system and one is a stain remover. I feel it works really well.

RealLifeMama
04-05-2007, 03:58 PM
Bac-Out, by BioKleen is what we use. It does not get out set in stains, though.
We go through 2 bottles a month, I love the way it makes my laundry room smell.

Katherine
04-05-2007, 04:15 PM
Citrus Magic 5-in1 concentrate.... all fruit-derived solvents, and I've even gotten permanent marker off of things with it. :)

I also use Castille soap, baking soda, and vinegar with Essential Oils when appropriate. I hate the smell of vinegar, too, and dh has a *super* sensitive nose, so I don't use it in my spray cleaners and such, but I keep it on hand for when specific purposes.

righteous mama
04-05-2007, 08:08 PM
Well, we use Shaklee's Get Clean. http://www.ecofriendlyhome.net I put some Basic H in a small squirt bottle and apply it directly to the stain. It works very well. In fact, it even got dried in ink pen stains out of dh's work shirts! I had to work to get every spot, but it saved them!

tempus vernum
04-06-2007, 05:50 AM
Interesting about the basic H Marcella - I have never tried it on laundry.

I use Bac Out on laundry stains or if I get desperate on old stains I use oxyclean (which isn't very "green")

I also use trizyme by Amway on laundry sometimes.

ONe thing that really helps laundry stains is hanging outside in the sun.

FOr regular cleaner I use a bunch of different things
*blue or red juice form www.thecleanteam.com - dh loves these so I am using them right now
*1 C water, 1 T dishwashing soap (handwashing), optional - essential oils
*vinegar and water w/ essential oils (I know you said you don't like the smell but the e.o.'s seem to me to take away the smell)
*baking soda and water for anything that needs "friction" (bathroom toilet, sink, tub)

zak
04-06-2007, 06:30 AM
Well, we use Shaklee's Get Clean. http://www.ecofriendlyhome.net I put some Basic H in a small squirt bottle and apply it directly to the stain. It works very well.

:yes I do this too! Even half water half basic H works great!!

hink4687
04-09-2007, 09:37 PM
Have you seen the thread for natural cleaning recipes? http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=99.0

You really get use to the vinegar smell and when you mix it with essential oils it tames it a lot. For stain remover I use a bar of fels naptha soap and a little water and rub it on the stain. works great! I've also used hydrogen peroxide, dish soap, and orange oil for stains on carpet and I've wondered if it would work on stains on clothes... :shrug. I'm so hooked on making my own cleaning products...its very addicting once you start!

illinoismommy
04-10-2007, 02:00 PM
Sometimes I am just overwhelmed by all these things I should or need to change. :O

tempus vernum
04-10-2007, 02:29 PM
Sometimes I am just overwhelmed by all these things I should or need to change. :O

:hug baby steps. One at a time :hug

It's easy to get overwhelmed. I have been on a "get natural" kick for 7 years and I am still not where I want to be. I take 3 steps forward, one step back, one step forward, 3 steps back.

Do what you can and change slowly. The slower you change the more change will become habit and not so overwhelming :hug

righteous mama
04-10-2007, 03:30 PM

That's one thing I love about the Get Clean Starter Kit. It's a great way to get started without feeling overwhelmed. It gives you enough products to see what you like, etc...and some of the products last MONTHS and MONTHS! But, I am biased. I do so love my Shaklee. :giggle

Beauty4Ashes
04-10-2007, 03:53 PM
A little zote soap, on wet collars works for me. I really like the recipes from the joyous housekeeping forum. One thing at a time, I read the book Home Safe Home and just about died from all the hazardous stuff there is in my home. But I found that if I made small steps, I could gradually get rid of toxic stuff. For example, peppermint essential oil in a glass of water works for mouthwash; baking soda with or without essential oil works for toothpaste; if you take a lemon or an orange and some water, you can make hairspray; a quarter of a tsp, of plain gelatin mixed with water can work for mousse. It's just a matter of making a little time, which lately I don't have the time or rather the motivation.

zak
04-10-2007, 04:13 PM
But, I am biased. I do so love my Shaklee. :giggle

Me too! I LOVE my Shaklee stuff (just ordered more laundry stuff today). I was overwhelmed in the beginning too - but I'd make a couple small purchases - try out their stuff (I love it all, btw) and slowly get rid of the chemicals in my house. :)

Other than windex (you can use Basic H for windows too, I just prefer my windex) I only have Shaklee stuff in my house. And it's not expensive and it lasts for a looooong time.

(one more plug for Marcella/Shaklee) ;)

righteous mama
04-10-2007, 05:09 PM
But, I am biased. I do so love my Shaklee. :giggle

Me too! I LOVE my Shaklee stuff (just ordered more laundry stuff today). I was overwhelmed in the beginning too - but I'd make a couple small purchases - try out their stuff (I love it all, btw) and slowly get rid of the chemicals in my house. :)

Other than windex (you can use Basic H for windows too, I just prefer my windex) I only have Shaklee stuff in my house. And it's not expensive and it lasts for a looooong time.

(one more plug for Marcella/Shaklee) ;)

My Shaklee buddy! :-)

You know, for awhile I loved Windex more...but with the new formula of Basic H I can live without it. Especially with the window/mirror microfiber. It does a fabulous job and now Windex stings my nose when I smell it. Have you been able to order the new Basic H2?

zak
04-11-2007, 05:03 AM
:doh Nope. I ordered a GALLON of the old stuff without knowing about the new stuff! It will be a while before I try it. :impouting Glad to hear it's good for a Windex-lover! :yes

righteous mama
04-11-2007, 11:30 AM
:doh Nope. I ordered a GALLON of the old stuff without knowing about the new stuff! It will be a while before I try it. :impouting Glad to hear it's good for a Windex-lover! :yes

Ah, see, that's when I'd be accidentally mixing it too strong and cleaning everything in sight. :lol Maybe accidentally knock it over? ;) It's not bad stuff...the old version...I just love being in the new.

How long does the gallon last anyway? I bought my starter kit in November and still have half the 16 oz bottle of H2 left about six months later! And, yes, I do clean. :shifty

zak
04-11-2007, 11:33 AM
I'm not sure how long it will last. I always bought the small bottles (maybe 16oz of the old stuff) before.

I'm thinking it will be a loooong time! ;)