PDA

View Full Version : How to eliminate a hot spot not just declutter?

tempus vernum
04-04-2007, 05:58 PM
I need to stop leaving junk on top of my freezer and on top of my microwave. Not sure how to stop that. The can't have something on top of it as it has a cabinet over it. The cabinet is narrower than the .

The freezer needs to have on top of it.
*the phone

What can I do to stop the clutter on these spots? I am not a decorator :)

TIA :mrgreen

Mothering by Heart
04-04-2007, 06:00 PM
What are you putting there besides the phone?

AmyDoll
04-04-2007, 06:01 PM
what stuff tends to collect??

RealLifeMama
04-04-2007, 06:03 PM
:popcorn because, well, my house is so full of hotspots it is on fire!

milkmommy
04-04-2007, 06:09 PM
I'd have to get rid of the hubby in order to eliminate this problem :shifty

Deanna

Heather Micaela
04-04-2007, 06:11 PM
I'd have to get rid of the hubby children in order to eliminate this problem :shifty

that is thier method of getting things out of the baby's reach

RealLifeMama
04-04-2007, 06:40 PM
I'm back- is it a stand freezer or a chest? I am assuming it is an upright one or else you'd have to move the phone every time.
Is there a spot on the wall you can put the phone? Or perhaps change the type of phone you put there? Maybe have your DH make some gizmo to hold the phone on the freezer instead of on top?

The top of our fridge drives me nuts because that is where all the art stuff goes so the children do not get it at whim. I can't stand it, yet that is their "place" at the moment. I know it is frustrating!

tempus vernum
04-04-2007, 07:38 PM
EVERYTHING lands there. When we take away a toy from dc (for using it inappropraitely). It's a TALL upright so only dh and I can put stuff there.

SPecific freezer problems
*Dh's wallet (which has a spot by where we put keys)
*dh's change and anything that comes out of his jean pockets (there is a basket RIGHT THERE *sigh*
*receipts (which also has a spot in the desk)
*dh's beer keg :lol Dh makes his own beer - I guess I have to live with this but it's annoying
*dh's empty beer bottles - the problem with this is that most are usually empty for weeks on end as he drinkslittle - which is a good thing - it's a hobby -making beer flavors not a "habit"
*dh's tools
*toys or anything SAvana is getting into that I am tired of constantly taking away from her :O
Hmmm. . . I wonder if dh could hang the phone. Maybe I should get rid of the cordless. It's up there so that Savana can't reach it.

:idea Just typing it out I see a trend. ANd I see others have the same problem
I'd have to get rid of the hubby children in order to eliminate this problem

:yes2 Yes, to both hubby and children :rolleyes

Maybe I need to put some pretty shallow boxes or baskets up there that take up the entire freezer so that everything is "hidden" except the beer keg :rolleyes ONe for dh's stuff and one for kid stuff. THen look in them once in awhile to make sure there is nothing of mine in there :think Opinions??

Specific refrigerator problems
*napkins - our napkin basket is constantly overrun by junk drawer "overflow". I recently put the napkins back in the basket and am vowing to keep them there :blush
*recipes that belong back in the book that I take out and hang on the refrigerator because I want to make them. I often go through the books and remove them until I make them
*recipe books that belong in the cabinet. I have to get up on a step stool to get them back inside properly or they get all heaped up - I can't reach from the floor
*Luke's chemo (which belong in the cabinet next to the recipe books - I have to get up on a step stool to get this inside too.

Hmmm... my to do list
*clean out the cabinet with the recipe books to amek it user friendly :scratch
*organize my recipes - yikes.
*clean junk drawer
Those are HUGE projects. I mean HUGE HUGE HUGE. The recipes could take HOURS.

This Busy Mom
04-04-2007, 07:52 PM
I have so many hot spots my house should be on fire :shifty . I thought bare surfaces are to stack stuff on, no? (I'm j/k).

I thought the flylady had a way of dealing with hot spots. I need to go look at her site.

tempus vernum
04-04-2007, 08:00 PM
I have so many hot spots my house should be on fire :shifty . I thought bare surfaces are to stack stuff on, no? (I'm j/k).

I thought the flylady had a way of dealing with hot spots. I need to go look at her site.

Um. . .yeah, my house used to be on fire. EXCEPT dh recently painted our playroom, living room and bathroom. ANd dh laid new carpeting in the playroomand living room so after emptying out the rooms I got rid of TONS of stuff on the way back in. They say "cleanness" multiplies (the clean sink theory) and it's working for us. It's been amazing how clean my desk has been - I am afraid to type that - it may end :shifty Remodeling, a sure fire way to clean up.

Now, I keep walking in my kitchen thinking it looks like a junk pit :td I think that this weekend, I am going to empty out all my kitchen cupboards and clean them. Hmmm. . .that's a new post. :giggle

Hey, if you find something on flylady let us know :)

Learnin'2B
04-04-2007, 08:04 PM
Is there an area by the main home entry for a shelf or a table for them to put their things on when they come in? Some small individual baskets for each family member in that location? Ditto on something specific to put reciepts in, located in a spot that makes sense and is easily accessable.

This Busy Mom
04-04-2007, 08:34 PM
flylady just says you have to stay on top of it. put the fire out before it spreads, and I think check it several times a day (I think she has firedrills or something)

Miss Priss
04-05-2007, 08:46 PM
I'd have to get rid of the hubby in order to eliminate this problem :shifty

Deanna

:yes
I think the only other way to eliminate it would be for me to be naked at the door every day when he comes home. His stuff would all hit the floor, but at least it would be all in one spot instead of strewn all over hot spots all over the house. :scratch Of couse at tha point, I guess where *I* am would be the hot spot. :giggle