PDA

View Full Version : I just can't get into the vegetable gardening mood this spring.

SueQ
04-03-2007, 05:12 PM
I usually am pushing at the bit to plant the early vegetables but this year I don't want to plant. I have no idea what is wrong with me. I am dreading working in the garden, canning, freezing, etc. The garden really helps with the food budget and we enjoy the fruits of our labors in the winter but this year I don't want a garden. :sigh

My oldest really wants to plant things but I don't want to. I need to plant the lettuce, radishes, carrots, onions and early things like that now but I don't want to. Should I just skip it this year? :/ :shrug :scratch

On a brighter note. I have been working in the flowerbeds and they are looking so nice. It's so much fun getting out and digging in the dirt. I just can't understand why I am enjoying working in the flowerbeds but dreading the vegetable garden. :rolleyes

tinybutterfly
05-01-2007, 04:15 PM
Do you enjoy canning/preserving? Could you possibly be not wanting to do that part?

Here, usually my older son is the one getting the garden ready and this year he is too busy with school and friends, and he just isn't as interested as he has been in years past. It's unusual.

My husband is very busy, so if I am going to garden at all this year, I will have to do everything myself...and I will only plant a little compared to what we do normally.

Maybe a few tomato plants, some cukes, my herbs, green peppers...

They are putting the annuals out here now and I am hoping to get a few of those.

Enjoy your flowers, and maybe you will feel like vegetable gardening in a bit. Maybe you could just do a little and see how it goes?

summertimeshine
05-01-2007, 04:26 PM
I started our season that way...but then I went to the store and realised how MUCH money I save by growing my veggies!!! If you would like I can take a pic of all of the baby veggies in our little green house. When I saw Dh's gpa's greenhouse I got greenhouse envy...Let me know! :heart :heart
If you don't want to Can...then don't! Just garden and enjoy the fresh food!

Joyce
05-02-2007, 09:44 AM
I agree with pp on toning it way down this year, especially if you just don't feel like it.

My DH helps plant, but everything else falls on my shoulders and it's too much! That's why I started planting vegetables in the flower garden.

Joyce
05-02-2007, 09:48 AM
One more thing crossed my mind. If you do decide to cut back this year, but don't want the weeds to take over the portion of the garden you do not want to plant, consider planting pumpkin there. Their big leaves seem to help choke out weeds. Just water in the mornings, cut back vines that grow where you don't want them, and have fun watching them grow.

SueQ
05-05-2007, 01:24 AM
I like canning and preserving...but I do have an active toddler and am feeling overwhelmed with the housework. I think that is why I was dreading the garden. It's just another thing to keep up.

I have now planted the early things.
Onions
lettuce,
red beats
carrots
radishes

I am going to cut back some this year. Here is what I want to plant yet:
peppers (hot and sweet)
tomatoes
corn
squash
green beans
cucumbers

Teacher Mom
05-05-2007, 06:21 AM
I am going to cut back some this year. Here is what I want to plant yet:
peppers (hot and sweet)
tomatoes
corn
squash
green beans
cucumbers

These are the things we normally just plant. Oh and pumpkins. Years of doing more burned me out!!!

Do only what brings you joy or else it will feel like one more "chore".