PDA

View Full Version : techie people HELP! sound is LOUD when the tv plays but not DVDs (thru computer)

poleidopy
03-30-2007, 07:52 PM
We have media center on our computer, which is how we watch tv. so when we are watching tv, or even shows off the internet the sound is fine. But when we try to play a DVD, no matter what program we play it in, the sound on the computer & on the speakers is turned ALL the way up, but we can't hear the movie unless we sit right at the computer, and then just barely. I checked all the master volume controls and stuff, but i don't really know much, so i don't know what else to do! Can anyone help me?

Hermana Linda
03-30-2007, 10:44 PM
What program are you using for the DVDs and what operating system are you using?

poleidopy
03-30-2007, 10:51 PM
What program are you using for the DVDs and what operating system are you using?

um, we tried paying it with windows media center and media player...what's an operating system? Can you give me an example & i can tell you?( i know, I'm totally dumb about computers. :blush )

Hermana Linda
03-30-2007, 10:53 PM
um, we tried paying it with windows media center and media player...what's an operating system? Can you give me an example & i can tell you?( i know, I'm totally dumb about computers. :blush )

Ok, my guess would be that you are using Windows XP. Am I correct?

poleidopy
03-30-2007, 10:54 PM

Ok, my guess would be that you are using Windows XP. Am I correct?

OK, yeah that sounds familiar. :yes

Hermana Linda
03-30-2007, 10:58 PM
Ok, I know nothing about Windows Media Center. When you use Windows Media Player, do you have the volume all the way up in that program. It's a slider near the speaker icon in my version.

poleidopy
03-30-2007, 11:05 PM
Ok, I know nothing about Windows Media Center. When you use Windows Media Player, do you have the volume all the way up in that program. It's a slider near the speaker icon in my version.

yep.

poleidopy
03-30-2007, 11:06 PM
there is also a volume dial on the keyboard, which is turned all the way up, and volume on one of the two desktop speakers, which is turned all the way up.And the master volume too.

Hermana Linda
03-31-2007, 01:19 PM
Ok, do you know how to find your Control Panel? There should be a shortcut from Start. Open Sounds and Audio Devices (speaker icon) Chose the Audio tab and there is a volume for each device there, as well as a master volumn.

poleidopy
03-31-2007, 04:20 PM
Ok, do you know how to find your Control Panel? There should be a shortcut from Start. Open Sounds and Audio Devices (speaker icon) Chose the Audio tab and there is a volume for each device there, as well as a master volumn.

yep. already did that too. several times. still the same. :/ This is so frustrating. Even if DH copies the DVD to our computer (I promise, we erase them when we are done watching them, we just do it so DS doesn't get the DVD out and get it scratched up.) anyway, even if we copy it, it still doesn't work right. :shrug

Hermana Linda
04-01-2007, 10:03 PM
Ok, when you open Windows Media Player, can see on the very top the words:
File View Play Tools Help. ?
If so, click on Help and choose About Windows Media Player and tell me what you see after the word, "Version:" It will be a bunch of numbers. I only need the ones before the first dot.

If you can not see those words, look for a funny box thing with a drop down menue (small triangle) and chose "Show Classic Menus" and go back to the previous paragraph.

poleidopy
04-01-2007, 10:43 PM
OK, took me awhile to find it. "10"

Hermana Linda
04-02-2007, 11:43 AM
Ok, I'll see what I can find out. Meanwhile, when you play music in Windows Media Player, it's fine, right?

Oh, try this (http://www.everex.com/support/lm7we/dvdsound_ms/stepnote_dvdsound_ms.htm) and see if it makes sense. I am not sure what version it's for. You also might consider upgrading to version 11. I didn't like version 10.

poleidopy
04-02-2007, 12:57 PM
Ok, I'll see what I can find out. Meanwhile, when you play music in Windows Media Player, it's fine, right?

Oh, try this (http://www.everex.com/support/lm7we/dvdsound_ms/stepnote_dvdsound_ms.htm) and see if it makes sense. I am not sure what version it's for. You also might consider upgrading to version 11. I didn't like version 10.

Yes.

and I tried those directions and got as far as "DVD-ADVANCED-" then the pop up box was different than the one in the directions. :think

Hermana Linda
04-02-2007, 04:01 PM
Ok, instead of the DVD tab, chose the Devices tab, click on Speakers to highlight it and then click on Properties. Then click on Advanced and you will find a volume slider. Hope that helps.

btw, when I clicked on Start, All Programs, Accessories, Entertainment and Volume Control, I found one for CD Player, which also might be worth trying.

Hermana Linda
04-03-2007, 04:00 PM
So, did it work? :popcorn

poleidopy
04-03-2007, 06:13 PM
I do believe that helped! However, DH returned our DVDs to the store, so I can't try it out. :doh And I'm not sure if the ones I have used to do the sam ehting, but they sem to be working now. Thank you SOOOO much! (ANd DH is gonna be ompressed that *I* fixed the computer!!! ) LOL! I promise I'll tell him it was all you! Thanks a ton, now we'll be able to HEAR what we are watching! Woo-hoo!!!!!!! :rockon

Hermana Linda
04-03-2007, 07:31 PM
Oh, Glory to God!

I hope it works. :nails Tell dh to get some more DVDs. :giggle

poleidopy
04-05-2007, 09:20 PM
got new DVDs today. Sound didn't work again. We had it up all the way and it waslike a whisper. :/

Hermana Linda
04-05-2007, 09:37 PM
Go back and make sure that the volume is still up. If it is, I guess you'll have to start playing with drivers and re-insalling Windows Media Player, things like that. Maybe upgrading to WMP 11.0 would help, I don't know. :shrug I suspect your dh would want to try the upgrade first.