PDA

View Full Version : Ok its been a long time but Wondering

Littledisciples
03-26-2007, 01:43 PM
I am going to do a garden this year. I grew up with a garden we never got veggies from a store. So here I am trying to remember it all LOL. We rotatilled a small section so far. I was wondering it only needs 8-12 inches right of top soil. I got out their today with the rake and did some digging and moving by hand too. DH is under the impression it needs to be more I don't see renting a thing when the little one we have is working. We have a very small rotatiller. (Spelling?) I think growing this garden is going to save us a lot of money and it is going to be organic too. This is also part of a educational homeschooling project for the kids too. LOL. Just wondering if any one has any advise and how deep does it need to be. I know we have a bit before we can plant outside anyway couse here it could freeze up to April so end of April we should be safe.

I was also wondering do you have to germinate all the seeds inside. I got bulbs for the yellow onions I am going to just plant those.

Here is what I am planting

Squash
Green Zuccini and Yellow Straighneck

Green Onions and Yellow

Cucumber

Watermelon

Cantaloupe

Green Beans

Carrots

Corn

Jalapenos

Close2MyHeart
03-26-2007, 02:53 PM
I would started the Jalapenos inside, but that's it.

Looks like you'll have some yummy stuff in your garden. :tu

Littledisciples
03-26-2007, 03:06 PM
Thanks :mrgreen I was kinda thinking the Jalapeno's definatly I hope it all comes out LOL it should.

bunbunmama
03-26-2007, 05:07 PM
You could try starting some of the cucurbits (squash, cukes, etc.) inside, but they're just as easy to start outside and they don't like having their roots disturbed for transplanting. Another thing you could do if you're trying to experiment for homeschooling is try to make homemade cloches (plant protectors) out of old juice jugs (1/2 gallon size) or the like. You could ask your dc to figure out why they will help the plants grow earlier (solar heat).

Littledisciples
03-26-2007, 05:15 PM
You could try starting some of the cucurbits (squash, cukes, etc.) inside, but they're just as easy to start outside and they don't like having their roots disturbed for transplanting. Another thing you could do if you're trying to experiment for homeschooling is try to make homemade cloches (plant protectors) out of old juice jugs (1/2 gallon size) or the like. You could ask your dc to figure out why they will help the plants grow earlier (solar heat).

That is a good way.