PDA

View Full Version : What are you growing this year?

Mama Calidad
03-14-2007, 08:09 AM
I want a square foot garden. The web site made them look so pretty. Maybe next year. :giggle

This year, we've planted:
Pepper: Jalapeno, variety of long sweet and variety of bell.
Tomato: Cherry and regular
Squash: Yellow and zucchini...don't know, though. Probably too hot.
Green beans
Corn
Herbs: Oregano, sage, rosemary & thyme. Need to dig out the basil and cilantro seeds.
Trees (all planted within the last month or so): Lime (2), orange, mandarin, mango, avocado, and peach.

mellymommy
03-14-2007, 08:11 AM
We've got our tomatoes started and the rest of the planting will happen in the next two months:

poblano chilies
squash
red peppers
onions
sugar snap peas

3PeasInAPod
03-14-2007, 08:12 AM
That's wonderful! We planted trees this year : 2 pear, 2 apple, 2 cherry & 1 peach!
I'd love an avacado plant!

summertimeshine
03-14-2007, 09:07 AM
Some of you must be in warner climates! I want to grow citrus trees but in Oregon it just is not best. :mrgreen

Ok so Dh loves to grow tomatoes so we have....Hess, Old Ivory Egg, Kentucky Beefsteak, Hazel Mae, Sweet Orange Cherry, Red Pear, Big White Pink Stripe, Black Krim, Gregori's Altai, Mrs Houseworth, Cherokee Purple, Lime Green Salad, and Blue Fruit (they are all organic seed that we originally purchased from www.tomatofest.com but we are now saving our own seeds over from year to year)

We trade our specialty tomatoes at a local co-op for other veggies

We also grow; Carrots, Oregon Sugar Peas, Green Beans, Cucumbers, Artichokes, Squash, Peppers, Tomatillos, Strawberries, Spring Greens, and anything else that Dh decides we 'have room for'

mamaKristin
03-14-2007, 09:09 AM
We're going to plant (when we can find the garden under the snow :P~):

- zucchini
- cucumber
- pumpkins
- peas
- cherry tomatoes

and my 2 year old thinks we should grow muffins. Anyone know where I can find seeds for that? :giggle

summertimeshine
03-14-2007, 09:11 AM
and my 2 year old thinks we should grow muffins. Anyone know where I can find seeds for that? :giggle

No but you can grow something to put into muffins...like blueberries...My goddaughter loves to put blueberries into anything because it turns that batter purple :giggle

Sarai
03-14-2007, 09:22 AM
Oh, I wish I had room for a real garden! I am doing window boxes this year (we have literally NO yard- lots of pavement, no grass). Probably petunias- lots of them!- and a nice trailing vine once the weather gets nice (it's in the 60s today, but will go back down to the 30's by the weekend- normal March weather for around here).

There is a low chain link fence lining our walk and I would love to plant some morning glories near it, but the fence actually belongs to a neighbor. I may ask them if it's OK....they're elderly and really nice.....we'll see. Oh, and I'm thinking of doing one of those strawberry pots, too- I have a small porch, but it gets almost no sun, so kinda tough to grow anything there. :/

summertimeshine
03-14-2007, 09:25 AM
Sarah, do you have room to hang anything? Strawberries do very well hanging. At our old apartment I had one of those shepard hooks that I would hang plants off of...in the one sun patch I could find :giggle

Sarai
03-14-2007, 09:39 AM
Sarah, do you have room to hang anything? Strawberries do very well hanging. At our old apartment I had one of those shepard hooks that I would hang plants off of...in the one sun patch I could find :giggle

Hmmm...I do, but only from the porch (which is shady, of course). Our porch opens up to a very narrow walkway, and on the other side of the walkway is the neighbor's fence (it's a strange design). It's all paved- no grass or dirt to put a hook in, either.

Herbwifemama
03-14-2007, 11:43 AM
We have three raised beds. See this picture from last year: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v63/Persephone82/Picture020.jpg

That one on the far right? We're turning it into a sandbox for dd. (I'm sad to give up some veggie space, but I'll be so happy to have a safe outdoor play area for dd, and she will LOVE it!)

The other two will be companion planted with veggies and herbs. I've got Lettuce (which I should get planted!), Chives, carrots, and onions, cukes, cosmos, and nasturtiums, Chamomile, basil, and peppers, and strawberries and borage. I imagine the strawberries will be in a container, since I want to take those with me when we move, which should be this winter. I have no clue what to do with the rest of those, but they'll fit somehow. :) Waiting with bated breath to see if the morning glories come back, hoping to add some scarlet runners to the fence as well, and hoping the lemon thyme and lemon balm returns as well.

summertimeshine
03-14-2007, 11:46 AM
Morning glory in Oregon grows and spreads like a weed. We have been fighting and fighting to keep it out of our garden because it strangles out our veggies...does it not spread like this in other areas?

Mama Calidad
03-14-2007, 11:59 AM
Some of you must be in warner climates! I want to grow citrus trees but in Oregon it just is not best. :mrgreen
We're in 9B. Works well for citrus. Leaves me wondering if I could grow lettuce and peas in the bedroom with the a/c running. :lol

Ok so Dh loves to grow tomatoes so we have....Hess, Old Ivory Egg, Kentucky Beefsteak, Hazel Mae, Sweet Orange Cherry, Red Pear, Big White Pink Stripe, Black Krim, Gregori's Altai, Mrs Houseworth, Cherokee Purple, Lime Green Salad, and Blue Fruit (they are all organic seed that we originally purchased from www.tomatofest.com but we are now saving our own seeds over from year to year)
Now, that's a variety!!! So we can address all of our tomato growing issues to "Dear Mr. summertimesunshine:"? :P~

Herbwifemama
03-14-2007, 12:05 PM
We have wild morning glories here too... and I'm hoping they do spread. I don't know how these will be, since they're a less common variety. Grandpa Ott's: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v63/Persephone82/Picture026.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v63/Persephone82/morningglories.jpg

I remember seeing them in my childhood, and just being in awe! They were wild when I saw them, and I had never seen anything so vibrant in nature before!

summertimeshine
03-14-2007, 12:07 PM
Now, that's a variety!!! So we can address all of our tomato growing issues to "Dear Mr. summertimesunshine:"? :P~

Yes and he loves to spread his knowledge! Even if no one is listening :giggle And if you ever need a receipe for anything with tomato's I've got you covered! We are out of control over here. ;)

summertimeshine
03-14-2007, 12:11 PM
We have wild morning glories here too... and I'm hoping they do spread. I don't know how these will be, since they're a less common variety. Grandpa Ott's: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v63/Persephone82/Picture026.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v63/Persephone82/morningglories.jpg

I remember seeing them in my childhood, and just being in awe! They were wild when I saw them, and I had never seen anything so vibrant in nature before!

Yeah it must just be the area you are from. We have then wild but not native. Oregon is actually trying to ban them because they are invading the forests and farms. Let me just say that while I think they are gorgeous...They are a pain in my side. We donate our time pulling ivy and morning glory from the forest. People are always :jawdrop but they are so pretty ... until we show them how much damage they can do in our region.

Iarwain
03-14-2007, 12:24 PM
I'm just beginning to think about cleaning out and tilling the garden. Within the next couple weeks we should really plan to plant the sugar snap peas. Then the mesclun goes in next month. We can't put tomatoes or peppers in the ground until after the last frost date which is May 10. I also plan to plant some zucchini, cucumber and melons. This is the year I'm planning to re-plant my strawberry beds. They got so overrun with weeds that I just put the sheep on them and let them chomp everything down last fall. This time I'll be smart. I'm putting down landscape fabric first and cutting holes for the plants. I just can't seem to keep up with the mulching and weeding.

mamaKristin
03-14-2007, 12:51 PM
I'm in zone 1b and my 'frost date' is June 2. I don't think I'll be planting for some time, unless I start some seedlings out in my garage.

hink4687
03-25-2007, 10:11 AM
This is my first year to try gardening so I'm excited. I'm having to grow all mine in pots because there are so many trees in our yard I have to have a movable garden so I can bring the garden to the sun. So I'll spend all spring and summer moving pots around in my yard! So far I've planted tomatoes, jalepenos, bell pepper, squash, basil, chives, oregono, and cilantro. I'm excited to see how it does!

Jenny
03-25-2007, 10:12 AM
This is our first year to try gardening, too. We're growing some tomatoes and cucumbers right now, and I definitely want to grow watermelons. Yum!

kklibrarian
03-26-2007, 04:20 PM
We're growing tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapenos, eggplant (those are looking a little peaked right now), squash, cucumbers, purple hull peas, potatoes, turnips, and cilantro. We have two fruit trees we just put in: a satsuma and a yellow plum that was a seedling from the one in my nanny's yard. We're also going to be putting in a full square foot gardening bed of nothing but corn. I'm soooo excited.

Blessings,
Kelly

Joyce
03-27-2007, 12:42 PM
I'm in zone 1b and my 'frost date' is June 2. I don't think I'll be planting for some time, unless I start some seedlings out in my garage.

Zone 1b! Ouch! That's a long wait. I'm in 4b. My DH says I have to wait until Mother's Day to seriously garden here. I think he makes me wait too long.

Someone else in the neighborhood must think we have to wait too long, too. We still have spots of snow on the ground, but I saw someone pretending to mow their lawn yesterday. He must have been testing out the riding lawn mower. It was funny watching him maneuver around the pile of snow by his garage.

Anyway, back to the topic. Last year I planted pumpkin amongst my perennial flowers and got hooked on growing gourds and squash. This year's plan is Big Max pumpkin, Butternut squash, and a variety of ornamental gourds that I hope to encourage to climb a trellis.

Mama Calidad
03-27-2007, 01:06 PM
We still have spots of snow on the ground, but I saw someone pretending to mow their lawn yesterday. He must have been testing out the riding lawn mower. It was funny watching him maneuver around the pile of snow by his garage.

I've got a yard that really needs mowing that he'd be welcome to test that mower out on. :O

momof4beauties
03-27-2007, 06:31 PM
Hi Everyone! This is our first year planting a garden also. We're going to try our hand at tomatoes, carrots, potatoes, broccoli, sunflowers, peppers, green beans and peas. Please pray for my garden! I'm hoping to get lots of veggies to freeze through the winter.

summertimeshine
03-28-2007, 06:02 AM
We still have spots of snow on the ground, but I saw someone pretending to mow their lawn yesterday. He must have been testing out the riding lawn mower. It was funny watching him maneuver around the pile of snow by his garage.

I've got a yard that really needs mowing that he'd be welcome to test that mower out on. :O

:yes Me too!
Though a riding lawn mower may be a bit much for our back yard :giggle

Dove*
04-07-2007, 03:03 PM
This too is my first year doing a garden and I am soooo excited! My DH built me an 8x4 box and I am using the square foot method...sort of. I may be taking on too much this year, but I am doing
2 tomato's (early girl and heirloom beef steak)
two cucumbers
zucchini
green and yellow bell peppers
jalapeno peppers
green onion
cilantro
radishes
beets
bush beans
pole beans
watermelon
pumpkins
strawberries
garlic

I've got a few squares left. Any suggestions of what I should do? We get up to 110 in the summer, so it needs to like heat!