PDA

View Full Version : Cold Socks Treatment?

Lady TS
03-05-2007, 02:28 PM
Has anyone tried this treatment? Dd's ear is bugging her again(it was nearly healed and then she got the flu along with the rest of us, ugh!). I am thinking of trying the Cold Socks Treatment on dd...

Cold Socks Treatment:
Randall Bradley, N.D. , a naturopath from Omaha Nebraska, frequently uses the cold socks treatment, a long-standing naturopathic therapy for stimulating the immune system.
Dr. Bradley finds this treatment to be effective in relieving the symptoms of many upper respiratory conditions such as head and chest colds, earaches, the flu, sore throats and even allergies. With this procedure, he says, relief is often seen within thirty minutes. If it is not, one can repeat the treatment while the patient remains covered and in bed. After four hours or usually by morning, the wet socks should be totally dry, the feet warm and the symptoms gone or much improved. Dr.Bradley says it is effective with both children and adults.
Step 1: Soak the foot part of a pair of 100% cotton socks in very cold water and wring them out thoroughly.
Step 2: Put the child's feet into a basin or bathtub of hot water, as hot as tolerable without burning. Have the bath deep enough to cover the ankles. Have the child sit on a chair or the edge of the tub, and keep the rest of the body warm. Soak the feet for about 5 to 8 minutes until they are hot and pink.
Step 3: Remove the feet from the hot water and pat then dry with a towel.
Step 4: Immediately put on the cold wet cotton socks, and then a pair of dry wool socks over those. At this point the patient should be covered and kept warm.
Step 5: Have the child go directly to bed, keeping the feet covered throughout the night. According to Dr. Bradley, this therapy will fail if the feet are uncovered, or if the patient walks around or sits in a chair uncovered.
Dr. Bradley believes that this home remedy works hemodynamically (by moving the blood to a specific area of the body -- in this case the feet). He suggests that when the blood is drawn away from the head to warm the feet, pressure in the head is relieved. As a result, the symptoms of the illness may disappear, and children usually fall asleep immediately. People who try this remedy will not only feel better the next day, but the treatment may actually boost their immune system, moving them through the illness faster.

Link: http://www.liferesearchuniversal.com/ear.html

cobluegirl
03-05-2007, 09:01 PM
we have used it. I would also use some garlic or mullien oil in her ear.

Naked Camper
03-05-2007, 09:19 PM
wow, that's interesting. Wish I would have read that before DH went to bed. He's been sick for the last two days. He's driving me batty!! DS is also sick, but there's no way I'd get him to cooperate with that treatment at a year old. Plus, I don't have any wool socks to put over the cotton ones his size.

Lady TS
03-06-2007, 09:45 AM
we have used it. I would also use some garlic or mullien oil in her ear.

Garlic/mullein oil in the ear for otitis media? It was my understanding that it wouldn't even reach the inner ear, which is what is infected for her...

DS is also sick, but there's no way I'd get him to cooperate with that treatment at a year old. Plus, I don't have any wool socks to put over the cotton ones his size.

I was thinking of doing it for dd(20 mos) but don't have socks either. Was thinking of putting a pair of mine on her and using my cloth hair scrunchies on the ankles to keep them on. :giggle Assuming she'd be asleep and wouldn't yank them off, lol.

Naked Camper
03-06-2007, 10:04 AM
That's a good idea. Now if I only had wool socks :giggle

Naked Camper
03-06-2007, 10:06 AM
Would binding a wool diaper cover around the foot work? We've got lots of Wool diaper covers - or I could cut up that ugly wool sweater in the closet that I've been meaning to turn into a diaper cover for some time :think Hmm...I might be onto something here :think

Naked Camper
03-06-2007, 10:07 AM
I just re-read the procedure - getting a toddler to sit for 5-8 minutes with their feet in the water? How in the world am I going to get him to cooperate with that! Maybe Daddy can help keep him occupied. Can it be them dancing around in the tub, does that count?

Lady TS
03-06-2007, 10:29 AM
Hmm...I dunno...maybe giving them a popsicle or something would do the trick to keep them busy?

Naked Camper
03-06-2007, 11:05 AM
Hmmm...he's never had a popsicle before - that may do the trick :P~ Good place to eat a popsicle too, in the tub :giggle

cobluegirl
03-07-2007, 10:04 AM
We have had great luck with garlic/mullien oil in the ear... the garlic will kill the pain and help heal the infection. you can also massage the tubes down behind the ear on the neck to help drain fluid.

Naked Camper
03-07-2007, 10:40 AM
Well DH tried the cold socks treatent last night. He made it about 3 hours before he demanded that the socks be taken off :rolleyes He said it was too hard to sleep with wet socks.