PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use Tracfone?

Sara
02-28-2007, 11:26 AM
I am thinking about getting rid of my cell phone service. We used to have a family plan, but now dh has his cell phone through work and so we're paying $50 for me to have a cell phone that I use a couple of times a month (we have unlimited long distance included with our landline so I only use the cell if we go out of town). It doesn't seem to make sense to pay so much for a service we rarely use.

I'm curious about Tracfone, though. Does it work well? Do you like it? Is there anything you don't like about it? It just seems as though it would save us a lot of money!

SouthPaw
02-28-2007, 11:28 AM
my mom does. hey, mom!! let me go find her....

Calliope
02-28-2007, 11:45 AM
We use Virgin mobile which is a pre-pay service like Tracfone. We're really happy with it. There are several "plans" to choose from. We do a "22 cents for the first 10 minutes of everyday and 10 cents after that" plan. We "top up" $20 at a time (you can put as little as $10 at a time on) and it usually lasts us at least two months. I don't think you beat $10 a month. Plus, we got the phone for free through a promotion on their website.

They use the Verizon network, so the coverage is very good too.

All in all, very happy, no complaints - which is more than I can say for my landline.

Mothering by Heart
02-28-2007, 11:49 AM
I have Tracfone. I like it. I use a cell phone maybe a few times a month so I don't need anything other than that.

When I need more minutes I buy them online and there is always a special pop-up that offers discounted minutes.

The coverage seems fine and we live in an area where cell phone coverage can be spotty.

ShangriLewis
02-28-2007, 12:42 PM
I used to. It was great for emergency calls. It helped me to feel safe. I found the service worked really well up here. I would buy the expensive card once a year that doubled your minutes. I only stopped using it because we got cell phones because of how busy we have been. We really needed to be able to contact each other.

SquishyGrandma
02-28-2007, 12:55 PM
Yes, I do have a Tracfone and I like it.

I pay $100 for a year of service and most of the minutes that I need. I've only run out of minutes when we had family emergencies and I ended up using the phone a lot more than normal. Also, since most of my family live in other areas, roaming charges (double minutes out of your home area) added to the cost. Minutes are easy to add though and I only have to add what I need. I have only had trouble with dropped calls in one location. Sometimes when I was driving across the middle of nowhere in West Texas I couldn't get a signal.

I had no trouble with the phone when I live in Virginia.

If you really only use your cell phone a few times a month, I would recommend Tracfone.

Sarai
02-28-2007, 12:59 PM
I have Tracfone & love it, basically because I"m not bound to anything. If I happen to be tight on money, I don't have to buy more minutes (unlike those lovely cell phone contracts, y/k)? I don't gab on mine- it's for quick calls and emergencies. I've never had any problem with coverage except when we went waaaay up in the mountains (once a year thing). :shrug