PDA

View Full Version : My 2 y.o. likes to hide

lavender mom
02-24-2007, 08:42 PM
and she's really good at it too! She finds herself and small concealed space, gets very still and doesn't make a peep! (as opposed to DS who starts to giggle the minute you say his name! :giggle) It's ok when we're in the house. There's nowhere she can really go and I have all the outgoing doors childproofed so she can get out. Still, it's taken us several minutes to track her down before. She's done it in the front yard a couple of times and that's been a little more unsettling. She hasn't left the yard, but I can't know for certain that she won't. I'm worried that she's going to do this in a less safe environment. Like the grocery store, or Costco or the mall or something. She doesn't seem to get it when we say the game is over and it's time to stop hiding. Any ideas on how I can teach her to come out when I really need her to? Or how to only hide at safe times or in safe places? Has anyone else had a 2 y.o. really good (too good!) at hiding?

ArmsOfLove
02-25-2007, 09:56 AM
I'd do hand holding, keeping her in a stroller/cart or use a tether so she knows how far is safe and can't hide :)

Amythestmama
02-25-2007, 03:06 PM
:yes I agree with the pp. Dd will do that as well at stores and it is very upseting when she's there one miute and not the next! :jawdrop She's WAY too fast for me. ;)

mamaKristin
02-25-2007, 04:11 PM
I wouldn't give mine a chance to hide while out and about. I keep my kids with me while we are out - but I have 3 mobile little ones, who are all fast. ;)

lumpofclay
02-25-2007, 04:20 PM
I recently read (in _I Love You Rituals_) that when young children hide, it's their way of asking if you will come find them.

ITA that it's not appropriate for stores, etc., where something could happen. That could be very scary! I agree with the PPs on how to help reduce/stop the behavior.

I'd also encourage you to *play* hide-n-seek with her at appropriate times. :)

mamaKristin
02-25-2007, 04:22 PM
Playing hide and seek is so much fun with little ones too! Especially when you can work a 'big reveal' into the game - helps when you are looking for them to have a set 'code word' for 'time to come out'.

lavender mom
02-25-2007, 04:24 PM
So is she just too young to learn about the specifics of hiding? I do keep her close when we're out. And honestly she sticks close to me anyway. She's not one of those kids who takes off. She's got a tentative personality and would probably be scared if I were out of her line of sight. Maybe I should just take that as a sign that she won't really be interested in playing her hiding game out in public when she's not feeling as safe. :shrug

canadiyank
02-25-2007, 05:03 PM
Hmmm. Yeah, I'd focus on the prevention (keeping her close, etc) and try not to worry too much about public, for the reasons you listed. You could also start practicing a "code word" for when she starts to run - we use "Halt!" which is very strong and more unusual than "no" or "stop." I introduced it on walks and in our backyard, saying, "Ok, you run ahead and I'll yell 'halt' for you to stop." She would see how quickly she could stop and she liked switching it to I was the "halter" :giggle .